Spade is a census-designated place (CDP) in Lamb County, Texas, United States. The population was 73 at the 2010 census.
Former Spade Public School
|Coordinates: 33°55′34″N 102°09′13″W|
Spade was named for its location on the former Spade Ranch. According to the Handbook of Texas, J. Frank Norfleet, ranch foreman, married and brought his wife to headquarters near the present townsite in 1894. The townsite was founded in 1924 when farmers began settling on former ranchland. A store and a cotton gin were built in 1931, which became the nucleus of the community. A post office was secured in 1935 and by 1940 Spade had two churches, six businesses, and 200 people. Spade has its own water system that draws on the underlying Ogallala Aquifer.
To the north of Spade is the Triple Arrow Ranch, a 1,000-acre (4.0 km2) spread with historic relics owned by Lamb County Commissioner's Court Judge William A. Anderson, Jr., and his wife, LeNora Jo Thompson.
Spade is located at the intersection of Farm to Market Roads 54 and 168, ten miles east ofLittlefield in southeast Lamb County, Texas. Spade is located at (33.9262001 -102.1535093).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), all of it land.
On July 1, 2006, Spade Independent School District, which formerly served Spade, merged with Olton ISD to form Olton ISD . The consolidation of the school was featured in a segment of Texas Country Reporter. The students invited Sherman Jones, a wounded Korean War veteran, to take part in the final graduation ceremony, as he had never graduated from the school.