Spiro is a town in Le Flore County, Oklahoma, United States. It is part of the Fort Smith, Arkansas-Oklahoma Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,164 at the 2010 census, a 2.8 percent decline from 2,227 at the 2000 census.The town is notable for its proximity to the Spiro Mounds, one of Oklahoma's most important archaeological sites.
Spider engraved on shell, from Spiro Mounds, near the town of Spiro.
Location of Spiro, Oklahoma
In 1895 - 1896, the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad (later owned by the Kansas City Southern Railroad) established a station at the present site of Spiro, which it connected directly to Fort Smith, Arkansas, According to the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture this attracted residents from the nearby town of Skullyville and soon made Spiro the principal town in this area. The town population was 543 in 1900.
The Spiro post office was created in 1898. There are several reasons given for its name. One claims that Spiro was the maiden name of the first postmistress. Another claims it was the maiden name of the mother of a Fort Smith banker. Yet another claims it was named for the father-in-law of a Fort Smith banker.
Cotton was the basis for the local economy. In 1901, Spiro had three cotton yards and one gin. By 1910, there were three cotton gins and the population had grown to 1,173. Cotton declined during the Great Depression, but timber and livestock became important industries. The population declined to 969 in 1930, then rebounded to 1,365 by 1950.
Spiro is located at Arkansas River, 17 miles (27 km) southwest of Fort Smith, Arkansas, and 10 miles (16 km) west of the Oklahoma-Arkansas border. (35.241464, -94.620717). It is 3 miles (4.8 km) south of the
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2), of which, 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (3.18%) is water.