Sterling City is a city in and the county seat ofSterling County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,081 at the 2000 census, but had dropped to 982 by 2009.
On May 25, 1955, twenty-seven United States Air Force personnel, known as the Abbot 27, perished in an airplane crash near Sterling City. The airmen were members of the 40th Bomb Squadron of the 6th Bombardment Wing at Walker Air Force Base inRoswell, New Mexico. A monument in their honor was erected in 2007 at the Tom Green County Courthouse in San Angelo.
U.S. Highway 87 as it passes through Sterling City, Texas
|Nickname(s): The Windmill City|
Location of Sterling City, Texas
|Coordinates: 31°50′21″N 100°59′9″W|
Most people in Sterling County reside in Sterling City, which in 1891 became the county seat. W.S. Sterling, Indian fighter and buffalo hunter, was the namesake of the town.
Land for Sterling City was donated in January 1891 by R.C. Stewart, and was platted by H.B. Tarver in February. Before the year end, the town had its own newspaper, a hotel, a post office and several other businesses. Next year, a school was built and Sterling City had 300 citizens in another four.
Sterling City began its reign as home to a portion of the Santa Fe Railroad in 1910, but the service was eventually abandoned. The depot is still available for visitors to see.
During World War II, the population reportedly decreased, but by 1990 peaked nearly 1,100 residents, but since has dropped again to 982 by 2009.
Sterling City is located at (31.839066, -100.985871).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.5 km²), all of it land.
The city of Sterling City is served by the Sterling City Independent School District and home to the Sterling City High School Eagles.
A windmill sets on the courthouse grounds in Sterling City.
Wind turbines off U.S. Highway 87 south of Sterling City.
First Baptist Church at 401 Water Street in Sterling City; pastor, Jason McGuire (2013)