Location of Stigler, Oklahoma
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,731 people, 1,096 households, and 697 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,237.6 people per square mile (477.1/km²). There were 1,216 housing units at an average density of 551.0 per square mile (212.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 78.76% White, 0.04% African American, 15.45% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.59% from other races, and 4.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.67% of the population.
There were 1,096 households out of which 32.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.6% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.4% were non-families. 33.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 21.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 81.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $19,594, and the median income for a family was $28,839. Males had a median income of $24,350 versus $22,500 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,293. About 20.5% of families and 25.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 33.1% of those under age 18 and 18.1% of those age 65 or over.
Stigler is home to the Haskell County Courthouse, which has become notable for erecting marble statues of the Ten Commandments and the Mayflower Compact on the front lawn (see Separation of church and state in the United States). In the seventh commandment, the word "adultery" was misspelled as "adultry". The Commandments statue has since been removed following a court ruling.
Stigler was founded in 1889 by Joseph Stigler, who originally named the town Newman. The name was changed to Stigler in 1893 by the U.S. Post Office, because the former name caused some confusion with the town of Norman. The Midland Valley Railroad came to Stigler in 1904, which attracted more settlers and more types of businesses. By the following year, the town had become incorporated. In 1907, Stigler was named as the county seat of Haskell County.