Sudan is a city in Lamb County of West Texas, United States. The population was 1,039 at the 2000 census.
Grain elevator in Sudan
|Coordinates: 34°04′04″N 102°31′28″W|
According to the The Handbook of Texas, the area where the town is now located was once on land granted to the county in 1892 by the 77 Ranch, owned by S.B. Wilson and Wilson Furneaux. The town developed in 1917-18 with a hotel and service from the Santa Ferailroad, which had built a branch line from Lubbock, Texas to Texico, New Mexico, in 1913. The land company manager and first postmaster, P.E. Boesen, suggested the town's name in 1918. A gin was built in 1922 and a bank established a year later. The town was incorporated in 1925, when the population was 600, up from a population of only fifteen in 1920. The first of several grain elevators was also erected in 1925 and the Sudan News began publication. The population was 1,014 in 1930, 1,336 in 1950, 976 in 1970, and 1,091 in 1980. In 1990 it was 983. The population reached 1,039 in 2000.
Sudan is located at (34.0678644 -102.5243624).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all of it land.
The City of Sudan is served by the Sudan Independent School District.
Sudan High School is a U.S. Department of Education National Blue Ribbon School. SHS is one of only 48 high schools in the entire United States to receive this award for 2014 and one of only four in Texas. Sudan ISD is a Texas Education Agency Exemplary ranked campus, and has received multiple Bronze designations in U.S. News & World Report’s annual “America’s Best High Schools” feature. Sudan ISD is well known for the vast opportunities it provides to students from Lamb, Bailey and Cochran counties. Sudan High School continues to have success in both curricular and extra-curricular events and has won numerous State Championships in both sports and academics.