Sweeny is a city in Brazoria County, Texas, United States, the westernmost incorporated town in the county. The population was 3,684 at the 2010 census. The city's motto is "A City With Pride".
|Motto: A City With Pride|
|Coordinates: 29°2′35″N 95°42′0″W|
Sweeny is 30 feet (9.1 m) above sea level and is 20 miles (32 km) from the Gulf Of Mexico. The San Bernard River flows 1-mile (1.6 km) east of city limits. The town is in a dense forest on coastal plains.
Sweeny is at the intersections of Farm Roads 1459 and 524. The town is accessible fromHighway 35 by taking 1459 or 524, which intersect in Sweeny 5 miles (8 km) from the highway, forming a "loop" from 35. Brazoria County Road 332, known as Ashley-Wilson Road, is also a main thoroughfare through the city.
The Union Pacific Railroad cuts a path through a small piece of the south side of Sweeny, with two grade crossings and a railyard. Train speeds through here usually range from 35 to 60 miles per hour (56 to 97 km/h).
Once known as Adamston, the town was named for the family of John Sweeny. The original Sweeny family home, marked by a Texas Historical Society medallion, was still occupied by a descendant of the Sweeny family in 1991. The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway laid a side track lined with gardens to the town in 1905. In 1895, a post office was opened, closed two years later and then reopened in 1905. A general store and cotton gin were completed in 1908 and a school organized in 1911, with eleven students. Burton D. Hurd, whose company promoted 10-acre (40,000 m2) suburban garden farms with "Soil Richer Than the Valley of the River Nile" to prospective settlers, platted the townsite in 1911 and by 1914, the town had a gristmill, sawmill, cotton gin, hotel and several general stores. In 1918, it had a brick factory and an orange orchard and in 1912, a school district was formed. In 1934, oil was discovered in Old Ocean, creating development which made Sweeny prosper. In 1942, a government carbon black plant was built which was taken over by Phillips Petroleum, which developed the facilities into a refinery, natural gas liquids center, and petrochemicals complex with pipelines to markets in the eastern United States. In 2000, Phillips Petroleum merged with Conoco Inc. to form ConocoPhillips. Sweeny's population in the latter 20th century has fluctuated from 3,087 to 3,699. There are false claims that it is the site of a "terrorist camp"
Schools are part of the Sweeny Independent School District which serves the city of Sweeny as well as outlying areas including Churchill, Shady Acres, River's End and Old Ocean. The high school's mascot is the Bulldog.
Schools in the district are Sweeny Elementary (K-5), Sweeny Junior High (6-8) and Sweeny High School (9-12), which is a 3A school. In 2007, construction began on the high school to renovate the current building. With growing security concerns, the Board of Trustees approved the renovation of the school, because most of the campus was open to the outside. The new school will have limited outside access. Classes met in the new on building December 1, 2008.
Wharton County Junior College and Brazosport College are both within a 45 minute drive of Sweeny.
The Sweeny Library, part of the Brazoria County Library System, is located at 205 West Ashley-Wilson Road.