Telegraph is a ghost town on Texas State Highway 377, thirteen miles 13 miles (20 km) southwest of Junction, in Kimble County, Texas, United States.
|Coordinates: 30°19′39″N 99°54′22″W|
LBJ biographer Robert A. Caro notes that "the town had no telegraph; it had been given its name because telegraph poles had been cut from trees near there during the 1850s."
Ruth Holmes was appointed the first postmaster, when Telegraph was assigned a post office on February 17, 1900.
By the 1890, there were ranches in the surrounding area of the Texas Hill Country. During the 1920s, camping on the river near Telegraph was a popular vacation spot for campers, hunters, and fishermen, with the only building of the town serving as the residence/country store/post office (which closed in 2009). In 1925, Telegraph had rental cabins on the river, a gas station-post office-general store (residence of the post master).
The general store and post office, built 1890-1900, was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1996, Marker number 5219.
Telegraph was about a mile from the ranch built by Governor Coke Stevenson, known as "Mr. Texas."
At its peak in 1966, the town had a trade population of 56 people, made up of people living in the cedar brakes and on the ranches surrounding Telegraph, using its post office.