Brashear is an unincorporated community in Hopkins County, Texas,United States. Although it is unincorporated, Brashear has a post office (with the ZIP code of 75420), church, storages, farm buildings, radio building, and a self-service building.
Brashear was founded in 1868, and it was named for Joseph Brashear, who surveyed the townsite with settlement and foundation. The area was part of the Wise Ranch in 1898, when G. W. Mahoney bought the ranch, divided it into small farms, laid out the townsite, and donated land for a school, a church, and a cemetery. A post office was established at Brashear in 1899, with W. G. Crain as postmaster. A school opened the same year, and in 1905 it had an enrollment of 149. By 1914, the town had Baptist, Christian, and Methodist churches, a bank, a newspaper, a telegraph connection, and a reported population of 400. Its population was estimated at 300 in the mid-1920s and 350 in the late 1940s. In 1948, the town had six stores, four churches, a two-teacher school, and a cotton gin. The population declined during the 1960s to 280 and continued to be reported at that level in 1990 and 2000. In the late 1980s, Brashear had four churches, a factory, a post office, and a number of scattered houses. But couple, few, or some buildings are mainly for farming, and storage, and it also has two churches that are still open, and KRVA-FM building (licensed to Campbell, Texas), and the post office, and Self-Service building are still in business. But Brashear is mainly 50% unincorporated town, and 50% farming service community.
As of 2000, and present, the population is unknown. But from census (according to MCDC and its demographic page of Brashear, Texas) of 2000, the population density was 28.2 people per square mile. And the racial make-up of the community was 91.9% White, 0.4% African American, 1.1% Native American, 6.4% from other races, and 0.3% two or more races.Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.6% of the population.
According to most or some maps, especially Google's Google Maps, Brashear has three farming ranch areas:
Brashear is through eight school districts in the area: Greenville, Commerce, Campbell, Lone Oak, Cumby, Miller Grove, Sulphur Springs and Point.
Apparently, Brashear is the area of six colleges or universities from Commerce, Sulphur Springs, Paris, Mount Pleasant, and Tyler:
Despite being an unincorporated area, Brashear has one business place of Northeast Texas Hydraulics & Machine Shop, located near the historic and shattered downtown of Brashear and the Self-Service Service Building. The post office, KRVA-FM building and farming service are also still work places for those who live in Brashear. But most major business are in Greenville, Commerce, Lone Oak, Point, Campbell, Sulphur Springs, Mount Pleasant, Mount Vernon, Paris, and Tyler.