Some of the shops along Main Street.
Location of Buda, Texas
Buda (/ˈbjuːdə/ byoo-da) is a city in Hays County, Texas, United States. The population was 7,343 residents in 2010. Buda is part of the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos metropolitan statistical area and one of Austin's fastest growing suburbs.
Buda is served by the Hays Consolidated Independent School District. Buda students attend Jack C. Hays High School, whose mascot is the Rebels; A local pastime is watching high school football games at Bob Shelton Stadium.
Because of its proximity to Austin, Texas, Buda is a suburb and commuter townfor commuters to Austin.Commercial development along the I-35 corridor, such as the Cabela'ssporting good store, has increased city sales tax revenue, and city leaders hope that further revitalization of downtown Buda will attract tourists and residents to the Main Street area.
Buda attracts national attention for its light-hearted wiener dog races, which is organized every April by the Buda Lions Club. Rooster Teeth Productions, the creators of the machinima series Red vs. Blue and The Strangerhood, had its office in Buda until moving back to Austin.
In 2009, the Buda City Council approved the city to become a member of the Film Friendly Texas Program, an organization which trains community leaders about the film production process and how to effectively facilitate filming requests.
The town of Buda sprang up along the route of the International-Great Northern Railroad, which was extended from Austin to San Antonio in 1880. Buda bore the name of “Du Pre” from its birth in 1881 until the autumn of 1887, when postal officials became aware that another Texas town was also named Du Pre. According to town lore, the name Du Pre came from the postmaster of the nearby Mountain City, W. W. Haupt, who pleaded with railroad officials, “Do, pray, give us a depot.” Alternate unconfirmed legends suggest that Du Pre was the name of an Austin newspaper editor who may have been instrumental in bringing the depot to the future town site, or given local topography, could borrow from the French phrase “du pre,” meaning “of the meadow.”
Mrs. Cornelia A. Trimble platted the town of Du Pre on April 1, 1881, establishing streets and a 150-foot (46 m) wide “Reservation” between the lots and the railroad right of way. Though the reservation was the property of town citizens, the plat allowed the railroad to place buildings on the parkland, including the depot that would become the lifeblood of the town over the next few decades. The Du Pre plat followed the convention of the neighboring city of Austin, giving east-west streets the name of local trees: Ash, Elm, Live Oak and China Streets. The north-south streets were named after surrounding communities: Austin and San Marcos Streets.
Several businesses quickly sprang up in the fledgling town, including the Carrington Hotel, which became known for serving good meals to hungry railroad travelers. By the time Du Pre was forced to find a new name for itself, the Carrington hotel was being referenced as “the Buda House.” In the “Dupre Notes” column of the Sept. 25, 1886 edition of the Hays County Times and Farmer’s Journal, the author notes that “The Buda House is one of the best hotels in the state. The polite and entertaining hostess, Mrs. Carrington, meets all with a courteous welcome.” According to the town’s oral tradition, the name of Buda is a corruption of the Spanish word “viuda,” or “widow,” referencing the widows who supposedly worked as cooks at the Carrington Hotel. Others suggest that like the town of Buda, Illinois, the town name is a nod to the exiles of the failedHungarian Revolution of 1848 who settled in the area.
Public library in Buda.
Buda police car.
Buda water tower next to Cabela's store