Location of Clyde, Texas
Clyde is a city in Callahan County, Texas, United States. The population was 3,345 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Abilene, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The first settlers came to Clyde around 1876. Mr. Shephard built a log cabin, the first residence, around this time. Many others soon followed. Among the first settlers were people such as R. J. Estes who came all the way from Fort Worth. When he first came, he didn't plan on staying. Mrs. Estes and he had stopped only to rest, but soon decided to stay. In their quick decision to stay, they simply left their belongings under a tree while they traveled to get the rest of their belongings for their new home. All their belongings were still as they had left them when they returned a few months later.
The railroad was prominent in Clyde. It started with only a boxcar, then later there was a station added. Along with the railroad came more settlers, homes, and work. Soon a school was needed.
The actual origin of the name Clyde is not known. Many believe it was named after a crew foreman. The man worked for the Texas and Pacific Railway Company. The company had a tent for the employees to get supplies. They would say, "Let's go up to Clyde's," not talking about the town only the supply tent. Soon the Railroad Company would call their boxcar location Clyde.
The first post office soon followed. The first postmaster, Jesse L. Miller, was appointed June 27, 1881.