Location of Coldspring, Texas
Coldspring is a city in San Jacinto County, Texas, United States. The population was 853 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of San Jacinto County which is named after the river that traverses it and shares its name with the Battle which gave Texas its independence.
The history of Coldspring is linked to Stephen F. Austin's first colony in Texas which established, among other areas, San Jacinto County. Austin's original colony extended to the Trinity River watershed, roughly along Texas 156, toward Point Blank. After receiving a commission from the Mexican government to settle the area, Joseph Vehlein, a German immigrant to Mexico, deeded 640 acres (2.6 km2) to Robert Rankin, an American Revolutionary officer. This acreage included the site of Coldspring.
The settlement of Cold Springs (old spelling) began around 1850. In 1848, there existed only a trading post called "Coonskin", later "Fireman's Hill" nearby.
Coldspring had developed into a bustling county seat town by 1915, but disaster struck March 30, 1915 when the wooden courthouse burned, thus removing the economic foundation of the town. Plans for the present courthouse were made, and the building was completed in 1918. Thereafter, the townspeople moved their buildings near the new courthouse at its present location.
There are approximately twenty-five (25) golf courses within a 50-mile (80 km) radius of Coldspring. Nearby, the Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Livingston, and Double Lake recreational area offer opportunities for camping, hiking, fishing, and water skiing.
There are more than three dozen historical markers throughout the town. Also of historical significance is the Historic Heritage Center, Old Town Coldspring, the 1887 Jail Museum, and the oldest continuously active United Methodist Church in Texas which was established in 1848.
The town's square hosts antique stores, art studios, and restaurants.