Collinsville is a town in Grayson County, Texas, in the United States. The population was 1,624 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Sherman-Denison Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Collinsville is located on U.S. Route 377 south of Whitesboro. The Sudden Stop Airport is located north of the town.
Location of Collinsville, Texas
Settlers first arrived in the late 1850s. Land for the townsite was donated by Joshua Miller, and the community was called "Springville".
Lodoweska "Lodi" M. Collins and her two sons arrived from Ann Arbor, Michigan, following the Civil War, and established—in a one-room log cabin—what is believed to be the first free school in northern Texas.
A post office opened in 1872, and in 1881, the Texas and Pacific Railwaywas completed, with a depot in Collinsville.
Another community also grew in the late 1850s a half-mile southeast of Collinsville, near the "Toadsuck Saloon". In 1869, the area near the saloon was surveyed and the hamlet of Toadsuck was established. After the railway was laid through Collinsville, most of the residents of Toadsuck relocated there, and the hamlet was merged into Collinsville.
Collinsville became a shipping and retail point for area farmers. The town was incorporated in the early 1890s, and named in honor of Lodi Collins.
The town's population grew to over 600 by 1900.
In 1904, Collinsville Academy was built. The school had two stories, six rooms, and could accommodate about 400 students. The school was destroyed by fire in 1941. A 20-room school was built to replace it, and continues to be used as an elementary school. A high school and junior high were built in 1995.