Crowley is a city in Tarrant and Johnson counties in the U.S. state ofTexas;virtually all of the city is in Tarrant County, with only about .01 sq mi in Johnson County. The population was 12,838 at the 2010 census.
|Motto: "Governed by the People"|
Around 1848, pioneers began farming the area around Deer Creek. The settlement moved a mile or so west to the site of present-day downtown Crowley when the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad built pens and laid tracks there. The first station depot was built in 1885. The community was named for S. H. Crowley, who was the master of transportation for the railroad.
An election to approve the incorporation of Crowley was held on February 3, 1951. The town council voted to change the designation of Crowley from a town to a city on September 3, 1972.
The Crowley Independent School District extends north into Fort Worth and includes 22 public schools. Most of the district's schools are located within the Fort Worth city limits, including North Crowley High School and 9th Grade Campus, Crowley Middle School, Sue Crouch Intermediate School, and eight elementary schools. Crowley High School and 9th Grade Campus, H.F. Stevens Middle School, and two elementary schools are within the Crowley city limits.