Duncanville is a city in Dallas County, Texas, in the United States. Duncanville's population was 38,524 at the 2010 census. Duncanville is a city in southern Dallas county and is part of the Best Southwest area, which includes Duncanville, Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Lancaster.
|Nickname(s): City of Champions|
Settlement of the area began in 1845, when Illinois resident Crawford Trees purchased several thousand acres south of Camp Dallas. In 1880 the Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway reached the area and built Duncan Switch, named for a line foreman. Charles P. Nance, the community's first postmaster, renamed the settlement Duncanville in 1882. By the late 19th century Duncanville was home to a dry goods stores, a pharmacy, a domino parlor, and a school. Between 1904 and 1933 the population of Duncanville increased from 113 to more than 300.
During World War II, the Army Air Corps established a landing field for flight training on property near the present-day intersection of Main and Wheatland roads.
Duncanville residents incorporated the city on August 2, 1947. During the post-war years, the military developed the Army’s old landing field into the Duncanville Air Force Station, which was the headquarters for the four Nike-Hercules missile launch sites guarding Dallas/Fort Worth from Soviet bomber attack. It also housed the Air Force tracking radars for the region.
When the town's population reached 5,000 in 1962, citizens adopted a home-rule charter with council-manager city government. Sometimes regarded as a "white flight" suburb in the 1960s and 1970s, the city is now known for its racial diversity (see "Demographics"). Its population increased from about 13,000 in 1970 to more than 31,000 in 1988.
The Texas Historical Commission has designated the City of Duncanville as an official Main Street City.
Duncanville recognizes the importance of the former Duncanville Air Force Station. The Duncanville Air Force Station was closed on July 1, 1964; however the Army continued to operate the Nike Missile air defense operations until 1969 at which point, the facility was turned over to the city. The WWII-era barracks and some other structures were initially re-purposed for civic and community use. Over time the buildings were systematically demolished, obliterating all signs of the historic base. But the history of the facility lives on in a monument which stands outside the library and community center.
The "stone igloo", a spring house originally located near the intersection of Center Street and Cedar Ridge Road, was preserved in a unique way. In the late 1960s or early 1970s it was demolished, thereby producing a supply of rocks that were used to build a replica of the structure at a nearby park and paving the way for the construction of a neighborhood retail center.
Various pieces of the city's history are preserved at the Duncanville Historical Park, which is located on Wheatland Road in Armstrong Park on land that was once a part of the Duncanville Air Force Station. Historic buildings include the city’s first Music Room.
With the completion of nearby Joe Pool Lake in the 1980s, Duncanville has increased in stature as a popular tourist destination. Overnight accommodations include several well-known chains, such as Motel 6 and Hilton Garden Inn. The city is home to a variety of local eateries and national restaurant chains, some of which have been in business for decades.