Elmo is an unincorporated community located on U.S. Highway 80 inKaufman County, Texas, United States. It lies approximately 13 miles northeast of Kaufman, and has an estimated population of 90.
Elmo's history begins in 1870 when the Texas and Pacific Railway laid track through the area. A community sprang up at the railhead, and it was decided that the new town be named to honor Elmo Scott, a T&P Railroad surveyor. Elmo received a post office in 1873 and by the mid-1880s possessed several mills, five churches, its own schools and approximately 900 residents. Through the remainder of the 19th century, however, the population fell and by 1945 only 150 people called Elmo home. By 1990 this figure had fallen to 90; it remained at this level through to the 2000 Census. Elmo has grown since, now calling 785 people home. 2010 census.