Fowlerton is a rural small town in La Salle County, Texas, United States. The population was less than 62 at the 2000 census. As of 2014, the town consisted of several streets (actually, narrow dirt roads) criss-crossing at 90-degree angles and running several blocks each, but with only a handful of houses scattered among the entire network of roadways, with a number of these collapsed and uninhabitable. In their midst is a Baptist church. Across the highway stands a sturdy, two-story post office building (apparently with upstairs living quarters), also a roadside cafe and a small farming-ranching supply business in more modest one-story quarters, comprising the entire nonresidential district.
|rural small town|
Location of Fowlerton, Texas
Fowlerton is named for two brothers who settled the community about 1910. By 1914, Fowlerton peaked in population at one thousand and had telephone service. Farmers faced droughts and low prices. The Fowler brothers had described themselves as "colonizers" and widely advertised the town. They soon faced lawsuits from disgruntled settlers. By 1925, the population had declined to six hundred, and never recovered. The San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad, now part of Union Pacific, brought only temporary prosperity to Fowlerton.
Fowlerton is served by the Cotulla Independent School District. However, most pupils transfer to McMullen County High School in Tilden, Texas.