Freeport is a city in Brazoria County, Texas, United States, located on the Gulf of Mexico. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 12,049,down from 12,708 in 2000.
|Motto: "Where Fun Happens"|
Location in the state of Texas
Freeport was founded as a European-American settlement in November 1912 by the Freeport Sulphur Company. The population was 300. However, by 1929, that population had grown to 3,500, and to 4,100 by 1939, influencing a steady increase of economic expansion in Freeport.
By 1937, a Freeport School District had been established, consisting of several segregated schools and 27 teachers. There were two white schools, one black school, and a white high school.
Freeport's most substantial economic growth began with the construction ofDow Chemical Company facilities in the city during 1939. This company is the community's largest employer. Freeport has the company's largest single manufacturing site in the 21st century. In 1942 the company acquired 5,000 acres outside of town at the Abner Jackson Plantation, and developed it as a company community, now known as Lake Jackson, Texas. It was planned and designed by Michigan architect Alden B. Dow, son of the founder of Dow Chemical.
In July 1957, Freeport merged with Velasco, Texas. This had been a temporary capital of the Republic of Texas during the 19th century. Soon thereafter, Freeport's population numbered 11,619.In 2003, the city annexed nearby Bryan Beach.
The Port of Freeport is a seaport on the Gulf of Mexico. The associated chemical plants provide a stable economy. Freeport is the site of the Dow Chemical Company's Texas Operations facility, which is the company's largest integrated site.
A visit from former First Lady of Texas and First Lady of the United States Laura Bush in 2000 catalyzed an initiative in Freeport under the Main Street Program, to organize local business owners in a collaborative way to manage their main streets. This is a subprogram of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which provides advisory services through its affiliate of the Texas Historical Commission. The Main Street Program is supervised by an advisory board. Freeport Main Street merged with the Freeport Historical Commission in 2007. Freeport was recognized as a National Main Street City in 2006, 2007 and 2008 for the progress in street design, downtown marketing, and support of pedestrian and retail businesses.
The Freeport Library is a part of the Brazoria County Library System.