Fresno is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fort Bend County, Texas,United States. The population was 19,069 at the 2010 census.
Fresno is located in the extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) of Houston, which is the fourth largest city in the nation in population. Fresno physically borders Houston to the north, the suburban Fort Bend County cities ofMissouri City to the west and northwest, Arcola to the south and southwest and Pearland to the east and Rosharon to the southeast.
A settler from Fresno, California, reportedly chose the name. The town is on land patented in 1824, once surrounded by cotton plantations. Fresno acquired a post office in 1910. In 1914 it had a telephone connection, a general store, a hardware store, and a population of thirty-two. By 1933 the town had only ten inhabitants and one business. In 1936 it had three rows of dwellings on both sides of a paved highway (old Hwy 288, present day FM 521) and was served by theInternational-Great Northern Railroad. By 1946 the population had risen to 100, a level maintained throughout the 1960s. In 1970 the figure had increased to 120; two years later it had grown to 161. During the 1970s and 1980s the population of Fresno increased more rapidly as the area was affected by growth of Houston.
Fort Bend County operates the Mustang Community Center in Fresno. The 5-acre (20,000 m2) community center includes one baseball field, benches, one meeting room, two pavilions, one play area, tables, and one walking trail.