Fulton is a town in Aransas County, Texas, United States. As of the 2010 census, this South Texas coastal fishing community had a population of 1,358. The town is named for George Ware Fulton, a land developer in the area.
Location of Fulton, Texas
Fulton was founded in 1866, named for George Ware Fulton, Sr., a land developer in the area. Fulton had been a teacher in Indiana and decided to come to Texas by flatboat with 60 other men during the war for independence between Texas and Mexico. After the long trip to Texas, George Fulton found that the war was over but he joined theArmy of the Republic of Texas for a few months.
Fulton built a large house, now known as the Fulton Mansion, in the area where Fulton stands. The town quickly became the site for many slaughterhouses as cattle from south Texas were driven to Fulton. The cattle slaughterhouses lasted until the 1880s, when railroads reached the area and provided ways to ship live cattle to population centers such as Chicago.
In 1930, some evidence of a prehistoric settlement was found in the Fulton area, possibly Karankawan.