Hereford welcome sign on U.S. Highway 385; click to read.
|Motto: Beef Capital of the World, The Town Without A Toothache|
Location of Hereford, Texas
Hereford is a city in and county seat of Deaf Smith County, Texas, United States. The population was 15,370 at the 2010 census. It is the only incorporated locality named "Hereford" in the country.
Hereford's local water supply contains an unusually high level of naturally occurring fluorine. Because fluoride is used to protect against tooth decay, Hereford earned the title "The Town Without a Toothache".
It is also known as the "Beef Capital of the World" because of the large number of cattle fed in the area. The city is named for the Hereford breed. The local economy is affected significantly by growth in the dairy andethanol industries.
The area is known for its semiarid climate with heavy farming and ranching throughout the area sustained by irrigation from the Ogallala Aquifer and the saltier Santa Rosa Aquifer beneath it.
Hereford is home to the headquarters of the Deaf Smith Electric Cooperative, which serves Deaf Smith, Castro, Parmer, and OldhamCounties.
A rich Western heritage includes the Las Escarbadas ranch house of theXIT Ranch located southwest of Hereford in Deaf Smith County. The restored historic structure can now be seen at the National Ranching Heritage Center at Texas Tech University. The Deaf Smith County Historical Museum at 400 Sampson Street in Hereford offers indoor and outdoor exhibits on the settlement of West Texas.
Hereford was originally founded as Blue Water in 1899 after the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway connected Amarillo to Farwell. After it was discovered that there was already a town named Blue Water, residents renamed the town Hereford in honor of the cattle of the local ranchers.
During the Second World War there was an internment camp, dismantled in 1947, for prisoners of the Italian army.
The first public school was opened in 1900. Today, Hereford's seven public schools serve around 4,000 students and are directed by the Hereford Independent School District.
St. Anthony's CatholicChurch in Hereford is located off U.S. Highway 385.