Jacksboro is a city in Jack County, Texas, in the United States. The population was 4,511 at the 2010 census. Jacksboro is located at the junction of U.S. Highways 281 and 380, and it is the county seat of Jack County.
Businesses in downtown Jacksboro.
Location of Jacksboro, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°13′24″N 98°9′39″W|
Jacksboro was first settled in the 1850s, attracted by land offers from theTexas Emigration and Land Office. Originally called Mesquiteville, the community grew up in the pastureland near Keechi Creek. It was renamed Jacksboro in 1858 when it became the county seat, in honor of brothers William and Patrick Jack, veterans of the Texas Revolution. Regular postal service began in 1859.
The county was one of the few to vote against secession before the Civil War. It was devastated by Indian raids until Fort Richardsonwas built south of Jacksboro in 1870. The population quickly bounced back into the thousands, and the town gained national attention in 1871 when twoKiowa chiefs, Satanta and Big Tree, were tried for murder there.
The Chicago and Rock Island Railroad arrived in 1898, and increased the town's commercial importance to the surrounding region, as did the completion of highways and other roads later on.
It is near Fort Richardson State Historical Park. Jacksboro stakes a claim to having the first state 4-H club, formed in the 1910s in Jacksboro.