Keller Town Hall
Location of Keller in Tarrant County, Texas
|Coordinates: 32°55′39″N 97°14′10″W|
Keller is a city located in the northwest portion of the Dallas–Fort Worth metropolitan area in the US State of Texas that advertises itself as “successfully balancing big-city comforts with small-town charm”. Its density of 2,200 people per square mile and plenty of natural land is complemented by its recently-constructed town hall, municipal service center, and award-winning recreation and aquatic center. The 2010 census recorded its population as 39,627, which ranks modestly as 74th in the state.
Keller was settled in the early 1850's and became a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway, named after John C. Keller, a foreman on the railroad. The wooded region around Keller attracted settlers because of the close proximity to the Trinity River, a supply of plentiful game and water, and the abundance of land for cattle raising and farming. Keller was incorporated on November 16, 1955.
Keller is primarily residential, home to very little industry, but features more than 300 acres of developed park land, 11 park sites and nearly 19 miles of hike and bike trails. Nearly equidistant from Tarrant County College District in Fort Worth, The University of Texas at Arlington, Texas Woman's University and University of North Texas, both in Denton, the Keller Independent School District has 36 campuses serving more than 30,000 students.
The Texas and Pacific Railway between Fort Worth and Texarkana was completed in June 1881, and the first train ran on this track on May 9, 1881. With the advent of rail service, new villages were established all along the line. The Keller of today was one of them. On July 19, 1881, H.W. Black, a druggist of Tarrant County, set aside 40 acres (0.16 km2) out of the north end of the 62 acres (0.25 km2) deeded to him by A.C. Roberts (being a part of the Samuel Needham Survey) for a town site to be known as Athol, situated 14 miles (23 km) northeast of Fort Worth. The land was dedicated to the public for streets and alleyways, but title to the remainder of the 62 acres (0.25 km2) was held by Mr. Black. Settlers migrated to the new village, and before a year had passed the name of the town was changed from Athol to Keller, honoring John C. Keller, a foreman on the railroad. Streets were named and those in the original 40-acre (0.16 km2) site still carry the names given to them in 1881. Streets going north and south are Lamar, Main and Elm; those running east and west are Price, Taylor, Hill, Vine, Bates, Olive and Pecan.
New residential development is gradually filling in open spaces, with neighboring towns affording no opportunity to expand its boundaries. The 1980 Census calculated Keller's population at 4,555; today, about 42,000 residents call Keller home. The city planned for its growth and has recently constructed a new town hall, municipal service center, and award-winning recreation and aquatic center known as The Keller Pointe. It has renovated and expanded its police facility, which houses the Regional Jail, Regional Animal Adoption Center and regional 911 dispatch center, completed a major expansion to the Keller Public Library , and constructed a new fire station (#4) for the southern portion of the city. The Keller Independent School District serves portions of the cities of Colleyville, Fort Worth, Haltom City, Hurst, North Richland Hills,Southlake, Watauga and Westlake, as well as the entire city of Keller. Its 51 square miles (130 km2) encompass the third-largest land area in Tarrant County. Enrollment in the school district has doubled during the past 10 years and is expected to do the same during the next decade, making it the ninth-fastest growing school district in Texas Moneymagazine rated Keller as one of the 10 "Best Places to Live" in the United States for 2009, ranked number 7. It rated Keller as one of the 100 "Best Places to Live" in the United States for 2011, ranked number 93. The U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey listed Keller as one of the "Nation's Richest Cities" with a population over 20,000 in 2008, ranked number 59 with median household income of $114,542. Neighboring Southlake was ranked number 1.