Littlefield is a city in and the county seat of Lamb County, Texas, United States. The population was 6,372 at the 2010 census. It is located in a significant cotton-growing region, northwest of Lubbock on the Llano Estacado just south of the Texas Panhandle. Littlefield has a large denim manufacturing plant operated by American Cotton Growers.
Littlefield houses the Bill W. Clayton Detention Center, a 310-bed medium-security facility, which is named for the former Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, who resided in Springlake.
Near Littlefield is the Triple Arrow Ranch, known for its historical remnants, owned by Lamb County Commissioner's Court Judge and Mrs. William A. Thompson, Jr.
City Hall in Littlefield (built 1930)
|Motto: Where BIG things happen!|
Littlefield is named for George Washington Littlefield (1842–1920), a Mississippi native,Confederate officer, cattleman, banker, and benefactor of the University of Texas at Austin.In July 1901, Littlefield purchased the southern, or Yellow Houses, division of the XIT Ranch, forming the Yellow House Ranch. At that time the ranch covered 312,175 acres (126,333 ha) in Lamb, Hockley, Bailey, and Cochran counties. In 1912, when surveys showed that a new rail line from Coleman, Texas to Texico, New Mexico would pass through his property, Littlefield formed the Littlefield Lands Company to sell the northeastern corner of the Yellow House Ranch, a total of 79,040 acres (31,990 ha), to settlers and to establish the town of Littlefield in Lamb County. Littlefield became a stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway in 1913.
Littlefield is the hometown of singer/songwriter Waylon Jennings. Waylon Jennings Boulevard is named in his honor.A celebration of Jennings' 73rd birthday was held on June 18, 2010, to raise funds for the Lands Duggan House Museum in Littlefield.
Bull Lake is located about 5 miles (8.0 km) west of town. There is a municipal campground located on Highway 385.
The world's tallest windmill was said to be below Yellow Houses Bluff at nearby Yellow House Ranch from the early 1900s until 1926, when the 128-foot (39 m)-high structure was blown over.