Longview is a city in Gregg and Harrison counties in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the2010 Census, the population was 80,455. Most of the city is located in Gregg County, of which it is the county seat;a small part extends into the western part of neighboring Harrison County. It is located in East Texas, where Interstate 20 and U.S. Highways 80 and259 converge just north of the Sabine River.
Longview is the principal city of the Longview Metropolitan Statistical Area, comprising Gregg, Upshur, and Rusk counties (population 271,669). Longview is considered a major hub city for East Texas, as is the nearby city of Tyler. In 2014, Forbes magazine ranked Longview as the sixth fastest-growing small city in the United States.
|Nickname(s): Balloon Capital of Texas|
|Motto: Real East Texas|
Location of Longview, Texas
|Coordinates: 32°30′33″N 94°45′14″W|
The city of Longview was founded in the 1870s by Ossamus Hitch Methvin, Sr.In 1870, Methvin sold 100 acres to the Southern Pacific Railroad for one dollar to persuade them to build their line in the direction of land he owned. Later that year, he sold an additional 100 acres for $500 in gold. He hoped the coming of the railroad would increase the value of the rest of his land.
Methvin also coined the name of the town when he stated, "What a long view!" from his home. In June 1871, Longview was incorporated as the first town in Gregg County.
In July 1919, a reporter for the Chicago Defender was in Longview looking into the mysterious death of a black man named Lemuel Walters. An armed white mob attacked a home where the reporter, S.L. Jones, was staying and attempted to batter their way in. A gunfight began between the attackers and the men in the house began. Eventually, Jones made a getaway. The white men then began to burn buildings in the black section of the town.
In 1942, construction began on the Big Inch pipeline in Longview. From 1943 to 1945, the pipeline transported over 261,000,000 barrels of crude oil to the East Coast. At the time of construction, Big Inch and its smaller twin, Little Inch, comprised the longest petroleum pipeline ever built in the world. Both were integral in supplying the United States war effort in World War II.