Manor is a city in Travis County, Texas, United States. Manor is located 12 miles northeast of Austin and is part of the Austin-Round Rock metropolitan area. The population was 5,037 at the 2010 census. Manor is one of the faster-growing suburbs of Austin.
City Hall, Downtown, Manor
Location of Manor, Texas
|Coordinates: 30°20′35″N 97°33′24″W|
In 2006, the first parts of a central Texas tollway system opened, which included State Highway 130 and State Highway 45. These roads increased accessibility to Manor. AWalmart was built on the east side of town near the junction of U.S. Highway 290 and FM 973. Manor Medical Center broke ground in 2013.
Manor has also been the location for a number of movies, notably What's Eating Gilbert Grape starring Johnny Depp. The story centered on an autistic boy, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, who regularly disrupted the town’s tranquility by climbing Manor’s old water tower. The tank, although no longer used, remains a landmark in the downtown district.
The Manor area offers abundant opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. Jennie Lane Park in downtown Manor is the center of most community-oriented events such as the Manor Farmers Market, Summertime Movie Series, and Christmas in the Park. The park is a "Smart Park" with WiFi access and coded signage accessible by smartphones for retrieving historical and other information. The park consists of a gazebo, pavilion, and outdoor exercise equipment provided by a grant from the Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services Department’s Steps to a Healthier Austin Program.
East Metro Park is a multiple-use recreational area with ball fields, soccer fields, basketball court, playscapes, hiking trails, stock ponds, and both free and fee reserved pavilions. The park also includes a swimming pool managed by the YMCA of Austin and is five minutes southeast of Manor.
Wildhorse Creek & ShadowGlen & Stonewater subdivisions include parks, playscapes, and multi-use fields. ShadowGlen amenities include a 4-acre (16,000 m2) water park and junior Olympic-size pool. Adjacent to ShadowGlen subdivision is one of Golf Digest’s America’s Best New Courses of 2004.
Manor was named for James B. Manor, who settled on Gilleland Creek west of present day downtown Manor. In 1842, Manor constructed a two story frame home retaining the cabin at the rear of the house as the kitchen. That house served as the first stage stop out of Austin, and as a post office when stage service from Austin to Houston was shifted through the area in 1857.
A school for boys began operation northwest of the present Manor High School complex in 1854 and was followed in 1858 by a school for girls near the present Manor Elementary School. The boy’s school closed in 1861 during the Civil War but boys were eventually admitted to the seminary and it came to be called Parsons Seminary and eventually Parsons Academy. It continued to serve both boys and girls as one of the leading private educational institutions in the area until the day of the public school system and was deeded to the Manor Public School in 1890.
A post office was reestablished in the Manor home in 1859 under the name of Grassdale with James Manor again serving as Post Master. Again in 1867, a post office operated out of the Manor home this time being couriered by horseback. This post office operated under the name of Gregg. A mercantile store was built in 1868 the present cemetery and was followed by a second store in 1869.
In late 1871 as the Houston and Texas Central Railway constructed the first railroad link to the Texas capital, James Manor made a donation of right-of-way which brought the line through what is now the town. The inaugural train arrived in Austin on Christmas Day 1871. The following year the community of Manor was laid out and named. It was incorporated as a town in March 1913 and converted to a general law city in 1921 with expectations of continued growth. Following two devastating fires that destroyed most of the business district coupled with the decline of cotton production after the arrival of the boll weevil, Manor remained a small city throughout most of the twentieth century.