Mission is a city in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 80,452 in 2012. Mission is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission and Reynosa–McAllen metropolitan areas.
|City of Mission|
Location of Mission, Texas
|Coordinates: 26°12′41″N 98°19′17″W|
Mission shares the same economic growth that nearby McAllen enjoys. The Mission Economic Development Authority promotes development in the area. The city has been advertised as the "Home of the Ruby Red Grapefruit" since 1921, due to the fruit being commonly grown in the area.; the city is also home to the Texas Citrus Exchange. The city holds an annual parade along Conway Avenue called the Texas Citrus Fiesta Parade, which features fruit-decorated floats, bands, law enforcement agencies, and fire departments, and many local and city government officials. Moore Air Force Base (deactivated) is located 14 miles northwest of the city. It is the location of the First Lift Station of the Mission Canal Company that once irrigated 15,000 acres (61 km2) of farmland in the Rio Grande Valley.
The Speer Memorial Library serves Mission. The facility has 48,760 square feet (4,530 m2) of space.
The library originated in March 1914, when the Civic League of Mission was formed to maintain a park and form a library. The first library board included officers from the civic league. In 1929 the City of Mission passed an ordinance making the library a part of the city government. In 1930 the library was in a room in the First National Bank. At a later time it moved to the Mission City Hall. From the early 1930s until 1947 the city library shared facilities with the school library. By 1960 it outgrew the building it had occupied. In 1976 Juanita Speer Farley donated the deed to her property to the city. A new library, designed by Warren Suter, an architect from Mission, was constructed in 1976 and 1977. The official completion date of the 14,000 square feet (1,300 m2) library was June 1, 1977. An addition in 1988 increased the library's square footage to 18,660 square feet (1,734 m2). An additional expansion of 30,100 square feet (2,800 m2), designed by architect TAG International, L.L.P. and constructed by Velasco Construction, was scheduled to be completed in March 2005, and the renovation of the older portions of the library was scheduled to begin afterwards.