Montague is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Montague County,Texas, United States. It is the county seat of Montague County and had an estimated population of 400 in 2000, according to the Handbook of Texas.
Montague was established in 1858 on 160 acres (0.65 km2) of land donated by the state of Texas. The community was named for Daniel Montague, an early surveyor. A post office opened in 1860. There were an estimated 400 residents living in the community by 1880 as well as five businesses, three churches, a school, and the only flour and grist mills in the county. Montague was incorporated in 1886. An attempt that same year by W.A. Morris and C.C. White to save the community from isolation by constructing an independent rail line that would have connected Montague with Bowie proved unsuccessful due to a lack of funds. Residents of the town voted to dis-incorporate the community in 1900.
In 1915, there were an estimated 300 people living in Montague. That figure reached a low of 284 in 1947. As highway traffic replaced the railroads, a modest recovery began and the community began growing again by the 1970s. In 1990 and 2000, there were around 400 residents living in the community.
Public education in Montague is provided by the Montague Independent School District, which serves students in grades pre-kindergarten through eight. Ninth through twelfth graders attend high school in nearby Nocona.