Morton is a city and county seat of Cochran County, Texas, United States. As of the2010 census, the city population was 2,006. This represented a 10.8% population decline since the 2000 Census.
Famous cattle baron Christopher C. Slaughter died in 1919 and in 1921 his heirs dissolved his cattle company. Slaughter's eldest daughter, Minnie Slaughter Veal, hired an agent to sell her share of the property and this agent - named Morton Smith - founded the town of Morton.
In 1923 the actual townsite was platted and Smith's land office was on the eastside of the square.
In 1924, Morton (the town) became the county seat over a town called Ligon. The Slaughters had founded Ligon and were hoping that it would become county seat. Cochran County's western boundary is along the Texas - New Mexico border.
Ranches continued to be sold as farmland throughout the 1920s. According to the Handbook of Texas - a family named Winder was so large that it doubled the population of Morton. Mrs. Mary Winder served as Morton's first postmistress (1924–1943). Since Morton and Cochran County were one of the last in the state to be broken out into farmland and settled, the motto for Morton became, "The Last Frontier".
Morton was spared the fate of many Texas towns that shriveled and died after being by-passed by the railroad during the 1930s and 1940s. Morton being the county seat, plus having all that former rangeland newly broken out into farmland attracted many new farming families to move in during that time, and helped Morton not only survive, but grow and thrive.
In 1933 Morton was incorporated with Henry Cox as the town's first mayor.
Morton was the hometown of Lt. Col. George Andrew Davis, Jr., a World War II Ace who was killed in the Korean War.
The City of Morton is served by the Morton Independent School District. The Morton High School mascot is the Indians. The school colors are black and gold, with white. Picture of Morton High School