Murphy is a city in suburban Collin County, Texas. The 2010 United States Censusreported the population as 17,708. Murphy is located northeast of Dallas.
Murphy is a fast-growing community with a history that goes back to the early 1900s. Murphy is located in southern Collin county, within the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Situated midway between Plano and Wylie on FM 544, Murphy is two miles (3 km) south of the famous Southfork Ranch. Its borders enclosing only 5.3 square miles (14 km2), Murphy shares borders with Plano, Richardson, Wylie, Sachse, and Parker. It is approximately 20 miles (32 km) from downtown Dallas and about 30 miles (48 km) from D/FW Airport.
The community supports plans to continue to foster the country-living atmosphere, though with fewer large lots. Minimum lot sizes are 9,000 square feet (840 m2), and the average lot size trends toward 12,000 square feet (1,100 m2).
Several subdivisions have begun building and are occupied. The newest approved development is 470 acres (1.9 km2) on the northeast side of the city along Maxwell Creek. The country living theme is expressed in this development by a linear park, which is expected to include a hike-and-bike trail. The major new feature to be noted in the Future Land Use Plan is a central business district at the northeast and northwest corners of the intersection of FM 544 and Murphy Road. This is expected to encompass a park-like area with offices and stores fronting on a central plaza. Construction on such a development, Murphy Marketplace, began in 2008. It now contains numerous restaurants and services. The municipal complex comprises a total of five buildings to serve Fire, Police, City Administration, and Public Works, as well as a 2014 addition of the PSA Murphy sports center.
With the opening of the President George Bush Tollway, access to the west became a reality in 1999. The highway is a major factor in the growth of the economy of Southeast Collin County. Its impact on Murphy has already been felt in the rapid expansion as new homes have been built, with the boom starting in 1999. The population in late 2002 was about 6,500 and continued to grow to around 12,000 in 2006. The 2010 census reported a population of 17,708. The city was rated #7 in the "Best Places to Live" survey of Dallas Suburbs in the July 2008 D Magazine, and #9 in the 2010 edition of the article (By comparison Dallas was #54, and neighboring Plano was #18). In 2011 the city was rated #27 in America by "Money's list of America's best small towns".
|City of Murphy|
Location of Murphy in Collin County, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°01′51″N 96°36′47″W|
Attracted by the offer of land grants from the Peters colony, the first settlers of the community arrived in the area in 1846. The original townsite, located on land owned by C. A. McMillen, was first called Old Decator, after McMillen's hometown, and later, Maxwell's Branch. When the St. Louis Southwestern Railway reached the area in 1888, the residents renamed the town Murphy, in honor of William Murphy, who provided land for the tracks and the construction of a depot. A post office was established there in 1891. From the 1880s until the 1950s Murphy served as a shipping point for area farmers and stock raisers. The Great Depression,qv the mechanization of farming, and job opportunities in the Dallas metropolitan area contributed to a decline in the population of Murphy. Though the rural community was never very large, its population was reduced to 150 by the mid-1950s and to 135 by 1961. Mail service was discontinued in 1954. Beginning in the mid-1970s, however, the population increased dramatically. The establishment of businesses in nearby Plano and Richardson made Murphy a commuter community for these two cities. In 1970 there were 136 residents reported in Murphy. That figure had risen to 1,500 by 1986, fallen to 1,114 by 1988, and risen again to 1,547 in 1990.
Few reminders of Murphy's early heyday remain; one structure still in use is the First Baptist Church of Murphy, built in 1901. Although the business district faded out, the school system remained for some time. The school building served as a community center in 1987. A school building which housed elementary and high school students was built in 1938 as a WPA project. When it closed in 1950, the schoolchildren transferred to Plano. Later, citizens renovated the school building, which became the Community Center, Fire Station, and City Hall. Later, the City Hall and Fire Station were moved to a new complex across the road, leaving the old building to be renovated as the Community Center that reopened in February 2012.
A portion of Murphy is served by the Plano Independent School District, while another portion is served by the Wylie Independent School District.
The Plano ISD section of Murphy is served by the following schools:
Elementary schools (separate attendance boundaries):
Middle schools (separate attendance boundaries):
Prior to the opening of McMillen, T. H. Williams High School in Plano served Murphy.
The Wylie ISD section of Murphy is served by the following schools:
Elementary schools (separate attendance boundaries)