New Boston is a city in Bowie County, Texas, United States. It was named after an early store keeper, W.J. Boston. It is part of the Texarkana, Texas - Texarkana, ArkansasMetropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 4,550 at the 2010 census.
Location of New Boston, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°27′38″N 94°25′2″W|
New Boston is located near the center of Bowie County at (33.460551, -94.417246). U.S. Route 82 passes through the center of the city, andInterstate 30 runs through the northern part of the city, with access from Exits 199 and 201. By either route it is 22 miles (35 km) east to Texarkana. I-30 leads southwest 40 miles (64 km) to Mount Pleasant, and US 82 leads west-northwest 70 miles (110 km) to Paris.Texas State Highway 8 leads south 4 miles (6.4 km) to Old Boston, the site of original town settlement in the 1800s, and north 7 miles (11 km) to the Red River and the border with the state of Arkansas. The Red River Army Depot borders the southeastern edge of New Boston.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.3 square miles (8.5 km2), all of it land.
The Red River Expedition (1806) was stopped by the Spanish in the vicinity of the town.
When the Missouri Pacific Railroad was being constructed 4 miles (6 km) north of the village of Boston (now Old Boston) in the summer of 1876, it was clear to many businessmen in the town that it would suffer a serious decline as a consequence of its distance from the line. At a mass meeting J. H. Smelser, a local resident and surveyor for the railroad, was selected to meet with railroad officials to secure the location of a depot at a point on the line nearest to Boston. The negotiations were successful, and in September 1876 lots were laid out and put up for sale on 100 acres (0.40 km2) that the railroad had purchased. Because most of those engaged in the project were from Boston, the new town was named New Boston. A post office was established in 1877 with L. C. DeMorse as postmaster. The town grew rapidly and by 1884 it had 400 residents, two churches, a school, several mills and gins, and a newspaper, the New Boston Herald, edited by W. W. West. A furniture factory and another newspaper, the Bowie County Populist, were added in the 1890s.
By 1900 the town had a population of 762. It grew slowly until the late 1920s, when a short-lived boom raised the population from 869 in 1925 to 1,300 in 1929. The population fell to 949 by 1931. During World War II the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant and the Red River Army Depot were constructed just southeast of New Boston. The two massive military installations were probably responsible for the town's rapid growth in the 1940s. The population grew from 1,111 in 1940, then to 2,688 in 1950. In 1980 it reached 4,628. Although anInternational Paper mill, the Barry Telford state prison and a few smaller factories provided some industrial base for the town, New Boston depends heavily on the two military installations for its continued prosperity. The town had 5,057 residents in 1990 and 4,550 residents in 2010.
New Boston is known for its Pioneer Days Festival and Rodeo. The town-folk gather at the T&P Trailhead Park for entertainment such as carnival rides, street dances, live musical and comedy presentations.
On March 4, 1986, a new modern county courthouse was dedicated in New Boston on the Interstate, but Boston remained the officialcounty seat. The old Bowie County Courthouse, constructed in Boston in 1889 in the exact geographic center of the county, was abandoned after construction of the new building. On the night of August 13, 1987, the old courthouse was burned by an arsonist.