Newcastle is a city in Young County, Texas, United States. Following the beginning of coal mining in 1908, the town was established and named for the English coal town, Newcastle upon Tyne. Coal mining had ended by 1942. The population was 575 at the 2000 census.
Beginning in 1906, the Wichita Falls and Southern Railroad, one of the numerous Frank Kelland Joseph A. Kemp properties, connected Wichita Falls with the coal fields in Newcastle. The WF&S was later acquired and consolidated with other shorter lines by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad.
Location of Newcastle, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°11′33″N 98°44′17″W|
Newcastle is located at (33.192383, -98.737969).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.8 square miles (4.7 km²), all of it land.
The City of Newcastle is served by the Newcastle Independent School District.