Petersburg is a city in Hale County, Texas, United States.
An old grain elevator in downtown Petersburg
|Coordinates: 33°52′10″N 101°35′51″W|
Petersburg was founded in 1891 as a post office in southwestern Floyd County. It was named for Zack Peters and his wife, Margaret, who was the first postmistress. In 1902, Ed M. White established a store at the site of the present community and moved the post office five miles southwest into Hale County. Although the town site was platted in 1909, its population remained below 100 until the Fort Worth and Denver Railway was built through town in 1928. Wheat and milo were the main crops in the area until cotton was first planted in 1905. The town was incorporated with a population of 200 in 1927. Petersburg grew as a farming and rail shipment center and by 1949, it had twenty-two businesses and 500 people. By 1980 the population had grown to 1,633; businesses included the Wylie Manufacturing Company, the Hughes Trucking Company, and a weekly newspaper, the Post. The population dropped to 1,262 according to the 2000 census.
Petersburg is located on the high plains of the Llano Estacado at (33.8695249 -101.5973877).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
The City of Petersburg is served by the Petersburg Independent School District and is home to the Petersburg High School Buffaloes.