Pilot Point is a city in Denton County, Texas, United States. The population was 3,856 at the 2010 census.
Farmers and Merchants Bank building, located at the northwest corner of the town square in Pilot Point, Texas
|Motto: Pointing the way since 1845|
Location of Pilot Point in Denton County, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°23′47″N 96°57′31″W|
Pilot Point is located at (33.396350, -96.958719).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.4 square miles (8.7 km2), all of it land.
Pilot Point was platted on Christmas Day in 1853. G.W. Newcome was the surveyor, from Kentucky Town, Grayson County, Texas. The streets were laid out and lots were sold. One of the first buildings in the newly founded town was on the North side, a log building, home to the Star Drug Store operated by Dr. R.W. Eddleman and Alexander Cook, who came by covered wagon in 1852 from Missouri. Dr. Eddleman's brother-in-law, Major James Walcott, also built a General Store on the Northeast corner of the new town square. The town got its name from being the highest point in the area, thus an observation point for crossing the Trinity River. The wagon pilots nicknamed it "the Pilot's Point" long before there was a town. On October 13, 1908, several Holiness Christian groups came together and formed the Church of the Nazarene at Pilot Point. A memorial commemorating the event is located at the local Church of the Nazarene facility, approximately two blocks west of U.S. Highway 377. Other churches in the community hold particular historical significance in the community. First Baptist Church, Pilot Point Church of Christ and St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church are among the oldest, continuously functioning Christian congregations in the community. First Baptist Church claims an 1856 founding date that precedes the Civil War. Pilot Point Church of Christ claims a founding date of 1864 and boasts that it currently occupies the meeting house built by church founders in 1874 from timber hauled by ox-drawn carts from Shreveport, Louisiana. St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church claims a founding date of the winter of 1891-1892. The Pilot Point Church of Christ and St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church are designated as historical sites by the Texas Historical Commission. Rev. J.L. Truett (the brother of the famous pastor George W. Truett of First Baptist Church-Dallas fame) was the first pastor and founder of Calvary Baptist Church which formed in 1907.
The City of Pilot Point, Pilot Point Post-Signal (newspaper), and Skinner Cemetery are also sites of local historical significance and are designated sites by the Texas Historical Commission. A series of memorial markers permanently installed in the center of the town square commemorates the service of multiple generations of men and women from the community and area who sacrificed their lives in military service, primarily in the 20th century.
Pilot Point is well known for its horse ranches, including several world and national show horse champions.
The city is served by the Pilot Point Independent School District.
Pilot Point high school has a rich tradition in athletic excellence, most notably the football team, which was coached on several occasions by G.A. Moore (the all-time winningest coach in Texas high school history). 1980 Class 2A Co-Champions and 1981 and 2009 Class 2A State Champions (2A Division 1 in '09). The Bearcat football program also holds many records in Texas. Class 2A State Record for Consecutive Playoff Appearances with 22 (Second most in Texas UIL history). Consecutive district wins with 81 (1978–1991), 15 Consecutive District titles (1978–1993), They also boast 33 consecutive winning seasons at both the 2A and 3A level. The Boys baseball team have been to two State Baseball tournaments in 1995 and 1996. The Boys basketball team reached the State tournament in 1984 and the Girls basketball team reached it in 2002. The Golf team advanced to State 1999-2003. The track team has sent several individuals to the State Track meet and have several of individual championships, and the Cross Country team has advanced to the State meet several times as well at both the 2A and 3A level.
The Lady Cat Softball team advanced to the Texas State 3A Tournament in 2006. In 2013, the Lady Cat Softball team won the State Championship for UIL 2A Class competition with a season that included 40 wins.