Post is a city in and the county seat ofGarza County, Texas, United States.The population was 5,376 at the 2010 census.
There are many ranchers and civic boosters in Garza County, among themGiles McCrary, a former mayor who until his death in 2011 operated the OS Museum, a hybrid of exhibits from both the American West and Asia, which are changed three times per year.
Garza County Historical Museum in Post is a restored sanitarium.
Location of Post, Texas
|Coordinates: 33°11′30″N 101°22′50″W|
Post is located on the edge of the caprock escarpment of the Llano Estacado, the southeastern edge of the Great Plains. It is at the crossroads of U.S. Routes 84 and 380. Post was originally founded in 1907 as "Post City" as a utopian colonizing venture of Charles William (C. W.) Post, the breakfast cereal manufacturer. Post devised the community as a model town. He purchased 200,000 acres (810 km2) of ranchland and established the Double U. Company to manage the town's construction. The company built trim houses and numerous structures, which included the Algerita Hotel, a gin, and a textile plant. They planted trees along every street and prohibited alcoholic beverages and brothels. The Double U Company rented and sold farms and houses to settlers. A post office began in a tent during the year of Post City's founding, being established (with the name Post) July 18, 1907, with Frank L. Curtis as first postmaster. Two years later the town had a school, a bank, and a newspaper, the Post City Post, the same name as the daily in St. Louis, Missouri. The Garza County paper today is called the Post Dispatch. The railroad reached the town in 1910. The town changed its name to "Post" when it incorporated in 1914, the year of C. W. Post's death. By then, Post had a population of one thousand, ten retail businesses, a dentist, a physician, a sanitarium, and Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches.
From 1910 to 1913, Post experimented with attempts at rainmaking. Explosives were detonated in the atmosphere at timed intervals. Precipitation records, however, showed that the efforts failed.
The C. W. Post estate pledged $75,000, and the town raised $35,000 in 1916 to bid unsuccessfully to become the site of the proposed West Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College. Postex Cotton Mills began production in 1913 with 250 employees. When the Post interests sold the business in 1945 to Ely and Walker Dry Goods Company of St. Louis, Missouri, the plant was producing six million yards of cloth a year and employed 375 workers who manufactured Postex cotton sheets and Garza pillow cases. Ely and Walker sold Postex in 1955 to Burlington Industries, the world's largest textile manufacturer at that time. By 1973, the company employed 450 persons. The mill has since closed.
Oilfield service companies have been important to the economy, as have farming and ranching. In 1989, Post had two libraries, a hospital, a nursing home, an airport, the Post Dispatch (founded 1926), and ninety businesses. The population reached 3,400 in 1928, declined to 2,000 in 1940, and increased to 3,100 during the 1950s. With the development of the local oil industry, the town's population attained its highest level of 4,800 in 1964. The 1980 census showed a population of 3,864, but by 1988, the Texas Almanac reported 4,162. In 1990, the population was 3,768.
The former sanitarium in Post is preserved as the Garza County Historical Museum. It is located to the right rear of the courthouse. Linda G. Puckett is the museum director.
Post is located on the rolling plains at the foot of the Llano Estacado at (33.191789, -101.380432).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2), of which, 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.53%) is water.
Post Public Library
Tower Theater is adjacent to the library.
Algerita Arts Center is housed in a former hotel in the Post Historic District.
Post Stampede Rodeo stadium
First United MethodistChurch at 216 West Tenth Street
First Baptist Church at 402 West Main Street observed its centennialin 2008.
Holly's Drive-In on U.S. Highway 84 in south Post
Picker at Postex Cotton Mills, Post, Texas (postcard, circa 1913-1918)