Richmond is a city in the U.S. state of Texas and the seat of Fort Bend County, within Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area. As of the 2010 U.S. Census, the city population was 11,679. Richmond city boundaries are joined on one hand with Sugar Land and with the city ofRosenberg on the other hand.
Even though it is the county seat, thus containing most of the local government offices, and the historic center of the area, it is actually one of the smaller cities in the area. Adjacent Sugar Land is the largest city in the county.
Location of Richmond, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°34′51″N 95°45′47″W|
In 1822, a group of Austin's colonists went up the Brazos River, stopping near present day Richmond where they built a fort called Fort Bend. Named after Richmond, England, the town was among the 19 cities first incorporated by the short-lived Republic of Texas, in 1837. Early residents of the city include many prominent figures in Texas lore such as Jane Long,Deaf Smith, and Mirabeau Lamar, who are all buried in Richmond. On August 16, 1889, the town was the site of the "Battle of Richmond," an armed fight culminating the Jaybird-Woodpecker War, a violent feud overpost-Reconstruction political control of Fort Bend County. The Mayor from 1949 until his death in 2012 was Hilmar Moore.
Historically Richmond had government agencies and nonprofit organizations, while most of the area private businesses were located in Rosenberg.
The Long-Smith Cottage was built around 1837 on Jane Long's property and later moved to its current site.
The John M. Moore Home was built in 1883 and remodeled in 1905. It is now a museum.
The historic McNabb House was built by Phillip Vogel in the 1850s and bought by A. D. McNabb in the 1880s.
Richmond is located at (29.580921, -95.763000).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.9 square miles (10 km2), of which, 3.7 square miles (9.6 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (5.58%) is water.
In 2003 Jeannie Kever of the Houston Chronicle said "Some of the old buildings have been reincarnated as shops or law offices. But in other ways, life in Richmond isn't so different from that in the big city, with its Wal-Mart and fast-food joints, check-cashing businesses and strip-center sprawl." As of 2006 several strip mallsare along U.S. Route 59. During the same year the community included tack stores, two lane blacktop roads, horse ranches. John P. Lopez of the Houston Chroniclesaid "Richmond is a city of contradiction and transition. It's as if the place is not sure if it wants to be a part of Houston's bustle or remain a slow-paced farm and ranch town. It tries to be both" and "It is part Acres Homes, part Fort Bend County Fair."
The United States Postal Service Richmond Post Office is located at 5560 Farm to Market Road 1640.
The city is governed by a mayor and two commissioners elected at large for 2 year terms. The commission sets policy and the day-to-day management is done by a city manager hired by the commission.
Hilmar G. Moore served as mayor from 1949 until his death on December 4, 2012 and was believed to be the longest-serving mayor in the United States.
The Texas Department of Criminal Justice operates the Jester State Prison Farm units, including the Jester I Unit, the Carol Vance Unit (formerly the Jester II Unit), the Jester III Unit, and the Jester IV Unit, in an unincorporated area 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Richmond.
Richmond Police Department is in the historic old jail.
The county courthouse is located at Jackson and 5th Streets.
BNSF freight train heads west at the 4th Street crossing.
Fort Bend County Libraries operates the George Memorial Library, the central library and the site of the administrative offices of the library system, located along Farm to Market Road 762. Richmond also has the Fort Bend County Law Library.
The Main Library moved from Rosenberg to its current location in Richmond in 1986. The George Foundation funded the 77,000 square feet (7,200 m2) library facility, designed by Ronald Wedemeyer Associates and built on 6 acres (2.4 ha) of land. When the library opened, it had unfinished areas to facilitate future expansion. In December 1989 the Commissioners Court of Fort Bend County, in accordance with Texas Local Government code §323.021(a), ordered the construction of a law library. The main library expansion and the 1991 installation of an automation system used funds from the 1989 bond election, and expansion occurred on 1995 and 2002. The 2002 expansion included the addition of two conference rooms.
Deaf Smith Elementary School
Velasquez Elementary School on FM 2759
George Memorial Memorial Library at FMs 762 and 1640