Rocksprings is a town in Edwards County,Texas, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 1,285. It is the county seat of Edwards County.The town received its name from natural springs that bubble forth from the porouslimestone rocks in the area.
Historic Rocksprings Hotel
Location of Rocksprings, Texas
|Coordinates: 30°0′58″N 100°12′32″W|
J. R. Sweeten sited Rocksprings in 1891 because of the springs nearby. Also in 1891, the town acquired a post office and was made county seat. The original courthouse built in the town burned in 1897. By 1914 Rocksprings had a population of around 500.
On April 12, 1927, the town was hit by an F5 tornado that destroyed 235 of the 247 buildings in the town. The tornado killed 72 townspeople and injured 205, almost 1/3 of the population at the time.
Rocksprings is located at (30.016161, -100.209023). Rocksprings sits on top of the Edwards Plateau. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), all of it land.
The economy of Rocksprings is centered on the wool and mohair industry, and the town is recognized as the Angora goat capital of the world. Tourismhas become a growing part of the economy with the opening of Devil's Sinkhole State Natural Area located approximately six miles northeast of Rocksprings.
The Town of Rocksprings is served by the Rocksprings Independent School Districtand home to the Rocksprings High School Angoras. The school mascot is Rocko, the fighting Angora goat.