Round Top is a town in Fayette County, Texas, United States. The population was 80 at the 2010 census.
Restored drug store of Edward Henkel, the town's first mayor
|Motto: "Artful Escape"|
Location of Round Top, Texas
|Coordinates: 30°3′54″N 96°41′48″W|
As a part of the Stephen F. Austin colony, James Winn acquired 4,428 acres (17.9 km2; 6.9 sq mi) in 1831; the present townsite was included in this tract. Named after early settlers, specifically Nathaniel Townsend (whose original house still exists as the Texana Lodge) the town was known as Townsend; later it was renamed Round Top, since the postmaster lived in a house with a round tower. Portions of Nassau Plantation were purchased by theAdelsverein, and settlement by German immigrants began 1845 to 1847; these settlers began buying up the local farms and the town lots.
The Bethlehem Lutheran Church is the oldest active Lutheran church in Fayette County. Round Top is also the smallest incorporated town in Texas with a full service public library, the Round Top Family Library; and the smallest incorporated town in Texas with a Local Historic District, Land Use and Architectural controls. Town of Round Top
Round Top is located at (30.065060, -96.696614).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
Round Top is the home of three visitor-drawing programs:
Round Top is also the home of the oldest building in Fayette County, Moore's Fort, which was moved there from nearby La Grange.