Sanderson is a census-designated place (CDP) in and the county seat of Terrell County,Texas, United States. The population was 837 at the 2010 census. Sanderson was created in 1882 as a part of neighboring Pecos County. It became the seat of Terrell County in 1905.
Location of Sanderson, Texas
|Coordinates: 30°8′28″N 102°23′45″W|
Sanderson was founded in 1882. It was a switching point for the Southern Pacific Railroadwhere refueling and crew changes on its main transcontinental route took place. Mohair and wool production on surrounding ranches formed a significant part of the economy. The community entered in an economic decline when the operations involving sheep and goats decreased.
After regulations changed, in 1995 the Southern Pacific ended the practice of changing train crews (and overnighting them) in Sanderson. By 2013, the community had lost most of the businesses that it had during its peak, and the population was half of what it was at its peak.
A devastating flood killed 24 people, washing away homes and businesses near the usually dry Sanderson Creek, in June, 1965. Since then many flood control dams have been erected across the arroyos upstream from the town.
An illustrated tour brochure guides visitors past 50 historic sites,including several notable buildings remaining from the town's more prosperous era. The 1906 Courthouse was built to designs by Henry Phelps, but the still graceful building was much modified in 1932, in 1950, and again in 1983. Facing the courthouse square is the little-changed 1931 Art Deco style Sanderson High School, designed by Ralph Cameron, one of San Antonio's leading architects of the period. A handsome Deco frieze above the entranceway illustrates TRUTH CULTURE PROGRESS SUCCESS. Nearby is a Classical Revival structure built as a Masonic Lodge, but used for many years now as a private residence. Kerrs Mercantile back on U.S. Hwy 90 was the leading retailer in these parts for decades; under new ownership it is an antique store, with some renovations ongoing.
Sanderson is located at (30.141024, -102.395924).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.2 square miles (10.9 km²), all of it land.
Sanderson is located on U.S. Route 90, 120 miles (190 km) west of Del Rio.
The City of Sanderson is served by the Terrell County Independent School District and home to the Sanderson High School Eagles.
At one point the American football team converted into a six man football team.