Stafford is a city in the U.S. state of Texas, within Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Landmetropolitan area. The city is mostly in Fort Bend County, with a small portion inHarris County. As of the 2010 census, Stafford's population was 17,693.
Monument on US 90
|Motto: "City with no property taxes!"|
Location of Stafford, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°37′27″N 95°33′48″W|
William Stafford established a plantation with a cane mill and a horse-powered cotton gin in 1830. On April 15, 1836, during the Texas Revolution, the forces of Antonio López de Santa Anna stopped at Stafford's plantation and ordered it to be burned. Stafford rebuilt his plantation and resided there until his 1840 death. A settlement called Stafford's Pointestablished itself around the plantation; it became a townsite in August 1853 when theBuffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway began stopping at Stafford's Point. Stafford's Point had a post office from 1854 to 1869. Staffordville had a post office from January 5, 1869 to February 26, 1869. The settlement, now known as Stafford, operated a post office from 1869 to 1918; the post office reopened in 1929.
In 1884, Stafford had 50 residents, two general stores, and a grocer. By 1896, the settlement had a population of 300. By 1914, the population fell to 100. In 1931, 320 people lived in Stafford. This increased to 400 residents in 1946. Stafford incorporated as a city in 1956.
Stafford is located at (29.624186, -95.563359). According to theUnited States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.0 square miles (18.1 km²). None of the area is covered with water.
About 35.6 acres (144,000 m2) of greenspace in Stafford are designated as municipal parks. Stafford City Park, the largest, covers 16 acres (65,000 m2) of land. The park includes baseball and softball fields, basketball courts, a pavilion, playground equipment, picnic benches, and soccer (football)/open fields. Gordon Fountain Lake Park, covering 9 acres (36,000 m2), is the second largest park in Stafford. It has a 1/2-mile lighted jogging trail, a lake, a pavilion, picnic benches, and playground equipment. The 4.5-acre (18,000 m2) Vaccaro Manor Park has a lighted quarter-mile jogging trail, a pavilion, playground equipment, sidewalks, and soccer/open fields. The 3.14-acre (12,700 m2) Rubin Park has playground equipment and picnic benches. First Street Park has 3 acres (12,000 m2) of land and includes baseball/softball fields, a jogging trail, lighting, and picnic benches. The Margaret Havens Historical Memorial Garden is located next to Stafford City Hall. Its rose garden, benches, and fountain have attracted many couples to be married there. Stafford operates a Civic Center and a City Pool in the Municipal Complex. City residents pay $10 each year for pool access. The Stafford Centre Performing Arts Theatre and Convention Centre boasts a 1,100-seat performing arts theater; 25,000 square feet of meeting, banquet, and exposition space, including a 20,000-ft2 ballroom; and over 28 acres of outdoor festival green space.
Fort Bend County operates the 5-acre (20,000 m2) Stafford Community Center in Fifth Street, an unincorporated area near Stafford.
Fort Bend County Libraries has the Mamie George Branch located within the city limits of Sugar Land on Dulles Avenue right next to Dulles Middle School. The Mamie George Library, a 4,900 square feet (460 m2) library designed by Wylie W. Vale and Associates, opened in November 1974. The library was named after Mamie George, a philanthropist from Fort Bend County. The George Foundation donated funds for the building, and the Fort Bend Independent School District donated the land that the library was built on. The library was renovated in 1991. In 1996 the small-business-center materials were moved from the Missouri City Branch to the Mamie George Branch.
Stafford Police Department, part of the J.C. "Buster" Public Safety Complex
Fire Station No. 1, part of the J.C. "Buster" Court Public Safety Complex
Northside Fire Station
Stafford Centre for the Performing Arts
Stafford Post Office