Star is an unincorporated community in Mills County in Central Texas. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 85 in 2000.
Star is located at (31.4684944, -98.3161482). It is situated at the junction of U.S. Highway 84 and FM 1047 in east central Mills County, east of Goldthwaite and west of Evant.
The community was laid out by Alec Street in the mid-1880s and was named for nearby Star Mountain. A post office was established in 1886 with Calvin Skinner as its first postmaster. In 1890, the first public road opened from Star to Goldthwaite. By 1895, the community had asaloon, several grocery stores, and a drug store. A tornado struck Star on May 5, 1904. Two people were killed and five homes were completely destroyed.The community recovered and a permanent church was built in 1905. In 1910, a bank opened. A four room, two-story stone school building was completed in 1913. A hailstorm damaged homes, businesses, and the school on April 22, 1924. Star's bank was robbed in 1928 and the robber got away with about $3,000 and several valuables. Four years later, during the Great Depression, the bank was sold to the Trent State Bank in Goldthwaite. By 1939, Star had a numerous variety of businesses operating in the community. That same year, three area schools – McGirk, Center City, and Hurst Ranch – consolidated with Star. The population stood at around 170 in the mid-1940s. The rising popularity of the automobile caused a decline in the number of local businesses. By 1980, the community had an estimated population of 85. That figure remained steady through 2000.
Although Star is unincorporated, it does have a post office with the zip code of 76880. The Star Historical Museum is the community's main attraction.
The community of Star is served by the Star Independent School District and home to the Star School Tigers.