Taylor is a city in Williamson County, Texas, United States. The population was 13,575 at the 2000 census; it was 15,191 in the 2010 census estimate.
Moody Museum is the home of former GovernorDan Moody
|Motto: "The Zest of Texas"|
Location of Taylor, Texas
|Coordinates: 30°34′21″N 97°25′00″W|
In 1876 the Texas Land Company auctioned lots in anticipation of the arrival of theInternational-Great Northern Railroad when Taylor was founded that year. The city was named after Edward Moses Taylor, a railroad official, under the name Taylorsville which officially became Taylor in 1892. Immigrants from Moravia and Bohemia (now the Czech Republic) and other Slavic states, as well as from Germany and Austria, helped establish the town. It soon became a busy shipping point for cattle, grain, and cotton.
By 1878 the town had 1,000 residents and thirty-two businesses, twenty-nine of which were destroyed by fire in 1879. Recovery was rapid, however, and more substantial buildings were constructed. In 1882 the Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railway reached the community, and machine shops and a roundhouse serviced both rail lines. In 1882 the town was incorporated with a mayor-council form of city government, and in 1883 a public school system replaced a number of private schools.
By 1890 Taylor had two banks and the first savings and loan institution in Texas. An electric company, a cotton compress, and several newspapers were among the new enterprises. A water line from the San Gabriel River, a 100-man volunteer fire department, imported and local entertainment, and an annual fair made noteworthy news items by 1900.
Since 1900, Taylor's population growth has averaged approximately 128 new residents per year, based on an estimated population of 1100 in the year 1900, and the population in 2010 of 15191, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Between the years 2000 and 2010, the population grew 11.9%, from 13575 to 15191, about 1.2% per year.
Taylor is located at Coordinates: (30.572371, -97.416546), about 9 miles east of Hutto and 8 miles south of Granger. Taylor is about 29 miles northeast of Austin.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 13.6 square miles (35.1 km²), of which, 13.5 square miles (35.0 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (0.22%) is water.
Taylor's largest employers include the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), Durcon Inc., Burrows Cabinets and the T. Don Hutto Residential Center.
The City of Taylor, along with the Taylor Economic Development Corporation (Taylor EDC) and the Taylor Chamber of Commerce, has worked to attract new investment to improve the economic base and economic vitality of the community. Since 2008, nearly 20 companies have expanded or relocated to Taylor, creating nearly 300 new jobs and investing almost $40 million combined.
The community has made capital improvements in facilities and infrastructure to improve the educational offerings and quality of life in the community.Over the last five years, the City Council has made numerous significant investments in capital improvements related to water, wastewater, drainage, and parks & recreations.To address the need for improvements in streets, the city commissioned a study performed by Sledge Engineering which included a comprehensive, GIS-based Pavement Management System for future capital improvements.
One of the largest street redevelopment projects ($16M) is the Second Street / US79-B rehabilitation project in cooperation with Williamson County. The project includes all of Second Street from just inside the loop on the west side all the way east to Main Street.