Watauga is a city in Tarrant County, Texas, United States, and a inner suburb of Fort Worth. The population was 23,497 at the 2010 census.
Location of Watauga in Tarrant County, Texas
|Coordinates: 32°52′17″N 97°14′57″W|
Watauga is located at (32.871416, -97.249122). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.2 square miles (10.8 km²), all of it land.
The city is entirely surrounded by the cities of Keller to the north, Fort Worth to the west, Haltom City to the southwest and North Richland Hills to the south and east. Almost all of the city's land area is located east of US 377, though a portion extends west of that highway and includes homes and some city offices.
Locations include, Capp Smith Park, Watauga Pavilion, Watauga Public Library which is a sworn member of the Fort Worth-based METRO-PAC library catalog system.
The first settlers came to the area in 1843. The area was first large farms and ranches, and took its name from theCherokee word for "village of many springs." Watauga is also the name of a pre-Revolutionary War settlement in east Tennessee, the Watauga Association, and many Tennesseans later came to Texas. The Texas and Pacific Railway came through the area in 1881, which spurred a settlement. Watauga received a railroad station then, and a post office in 1883. The population was 65 in the mid-1930s and 1940s, when the railroad station had closed. The population then grew due to defense plants to over 1000 in the 1960s. The population continued to grow to 7,050 in 1976, and 20,000 in 1990.
The City of Watauga is served by two independent school districts. Birdville serves a majority of the city, while Keller serves the northwestern portion.