Winters is a city in Runnels County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,562 at the 2010 census.
Location of Winters, Texas
|Coordinates: 31°57′32″N 99°57′32″W|
Winters is located at (31.958786, -99.958810). It is situated at the junction of U.S. Highway 83 and Farm Roads 53 and 1770 in north central Runnels County, approximately 41 miles (66 km) south ofAbilene and 52 miles (84 km) northeast of San Angelo.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.9 square miles (7.6 km2), of which 2.4 square miles (6.1 km2) is land and 0.58 square miles (1.5 km2), or 19.97%, is water.
In 1880, the families of C.N. Curry and C.E. Bell settled in an area known as Bluff Creek Valley, southwest of the present town. Local cowboy Jack Mackey suggested that the community be named in honor of John N. Winters, a rancher and land agent. A post office was established in 1891 and Mr. Winters donated land for a school soon after. Winters had approximately 163 residents in 1892. It became famous for a traveling brass band that was organized by Charles Tipton Grant in 1901. A newspaper began publishing in 1903. Winters incorporated in 1909, the same year that the Abilene and Southern Railway built an extension from Abilene to Winters. Land values in the city jumped to $7.00 per acre. A cottonseed mill became the first major industry in Winters when it opened in 1909. It remained in operation until 1939. In 1910, the population had risen to 1,247. A public library was constructed in 1964. By 1980, the population stood at 3,061. That number fell slightly to 2,905 in 1990 and 2,880 in 2000.Winters had a total of 140 businesses in 2000, up from 96 in 1970. Today, the city serves as a commercial and distribution center for a large agricultural and ranching area.
The Z.I. Hale Museum, housed in the former clinic of a prominent local optometrist, features exhibits of area history, photographs, and documents. A Missouri-Pacific caboose sits outside of the museum.
W. Lee Colburn Park is located 7 miles (11 km) east of Winters, adjacent to Elm Creek Reservoir. The park has various recreational facilities and 14 spaces for RVs with full hookups.