Trabuco Canyon is a small unincorporated community located in the foothills of the Santa Ana Mountains in eastern Orange County, California, north of Rancho Santa Margarita. It lies partly within the Cleveland National Forest.
Plano Trabuco Road leads from the top of the Canyon, south, to the city of Rancho Santa Margarita.
Fourth of July features an old-fashioned parade of locals riding horses and pulling home-made floats to the cheers of observers - who are small in number but large in enthusiasm.
A landmark is the Trabuco Oaks Steak House, a favorite restaurant of President Richard Nixon.
A monastery of the Vedanta Society is also in the canyon, as well as the Trabuco Canyon Community Church TCCC, see link below.
Trabuco is Spanish for blunderbuss, a type of shotgun. A local story is that according to the account of a Franciscan friar traveling with the Portola expedition in 1769, a blunderbuss was lost in the canyon, and that is how the area was named.
Trabuco Canyon was the site of attempts to mine tin in the early 1900s. Remains of this activity are tunnels into the sides of the canyon,(closed for public safety) the stone foundation of an ore-processing mill, and some dams along the creek. Unfortunately, the whole tin-mining episode appears to have been a swindle.On October 21, 2007, a large wildfire started in Silverado Canyon and spread to Trabuco Canyon. The Canyon was evacuated by the Fire Department.