Tullahassee is a town in Wagoner County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 106 in both the 2010 and the 2000 census. It was also the location of Tullahassee Mission. It is considered the oldest of the all-Black towns in Oklahoma.
Location of Tullahassee, Oklahoma
The town began in 1850, when the Creek Nation constructed a school at this site on theTexas Road. By 1881, the population of freedmen had increased in the area, while the number of Native Americans had declined. The Creek Council then transferred the Creek children to another school and gave the town of Tullahassee to the freedmen. A post office opened in 1899, and the town was incorporated in 1902. It is now the oldest of the 13 remaining all-Black towns in the state.
In 1916, the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME) opened Flipper Davis College in the old Tullahassee Mission building. The college was the only private higher level education institution for African Americans in Oklahoma. This school closed in 1935.
Tullahassee is located at Muskogee, Oklahoma. (35.837758, -95.439295).It is 5 miles (8.0 km) northwest of
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.