|Turbeville, South Carolina|
Location of Turbeville, South Carolina
Turbeville is located in northeastern Clarendon County at U.S. Route 301 passes through the town, leading northeast 6 miles (10 km) to Olanta and southwest 18 miles (29 km) to Manning, the county seat. U.S. Route 378 joins US 301 briefly in the center of town, leading west 4 miles (6 km) to Interstate 95 and 20 miles (32 km) to Sumter, and east 16 miles (26 km) to Lake City. (33.889433, -80.013440).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all of it land.
In 1840, Michael Turbeville bought 125 acres (51 ha) of land one mile north of the present town limits in Diles Bay and built a home on this property. Sometime between 1870 and 1875, William J. Turbeville, son of Michael, purchased approximately 200 acres (81 ha) from John McFaddin and built the first house in what is now the town of Turbeville. His brother, Clem, likewise bought land and built next to William. Since their land was substantially covered with large pine trees, the brothers built a turpentine still which they ran for about 20 years. They also built a large store where they carried on an extensive mercantile business for an even longer time. During those early years the community was known as "Puddin' Swamp".
The school system is composed of one school district, Clarendon County District #3, which has three schools in the system—Walker Gamble Elementary located in the New Zion Community about 6 miles outside of Turbeville, East Clarendon Middle School and East Clarendon High School. The school mascot is the Wolverine.