Wapanucka is a town in northeast Johnston County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 438 at the 2010 census, a 1.6 percent decrease from 445 at the 2000 census. It is about 20 miles (32 km) northeast of Tishomingo. The town name refers to theDelaware Nation and means "Eastern Land People.
Location of Wapanucka, Oklahoma
The Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church built the Wapanucka Female Manual Labour School in 1851-2. The school, which opened in 1852, was named for a nearby creek. Local residents often called it Allen's Academy, for James S. Allen, who supervised it. Later many dubbed it Rock Academy for its impressive stone building. The school closed in 1860 after the Presbyterian Board withdrew its financial support. The Confederate forces used the building during the Civil War as a hospital and a prison. After the war the academy reopened, serving male and female students. In 1890 it became a boys' school. In 1911 it was permanently closed and the property sold.
Wapanucka is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), of which, 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2) of it is land and 1.49% is water.