Wimberley is a small town in Hays County, Texas, United States. The population was 2,626 at the 2010 census.
Location of Wimberley, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°59′44″N 98°6′3″W|
Wimberley started as an empty trading post settlement near Cypress Creek in 1848, the year Hays County was organized. After William Carvin Winters built a gristmill at the site in 1856, it took on the name Winters' Mill. When the mill was sold in 1864 to the Cude family, its name was changed to Cude's Mill. It was sold again in 1874 to Pleasant Wimberley and took on his name. Over the years, the mill was expanded to process lumber, shingles, flour, molasses, and cotton.
In 1880, Alfred vom Stein, a postmaster from San Marcos, applied to have a post office established in the community, calling it Wimberleyville. The application was granted, but the name shortened to Wimberley. Although the mill was shut down in 1925, the community was established and continued to grow, eventually becoming known as a resort town and becoming popular with tourists. Prior to its incorporation in May 2000, it was a census-designated place (CDP).
Wimberley is located at (29.995474, -98.100832). This is 28 miles (45 km) southwest ofAustin and 46 miles (74 km) northeast of San Antonio.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 16.1 square miles (42 km2), all of it land.
Cypress Creek joins Blanco River in Wimberley. Blanco River then continues until it joins San Marcos River. Blue Hole and Jacob's Well are located along Cypress Creek.