Wynona is an incorporated town in central Osage County, Oklahoma, United States. It was founded by a local Osage-Cherokee rancher, Antoine Rogers, in 1903. The population was 437 at the 2010 census, a 17.7 percent decline from 531 at the 2000 census.
An Osage-Cherokee rancher, Antoine Rogers, settled in the area that would become the town of Wynona in 1871, after the Osage tribe had been removed from Kansas to Indian Territory by the U. S. Government. In 1903, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (also known as the MK&T or Katy railroad) built a line across Rogers's land. A store was built adjacent to the track, and that event is considered the establishment of Wynona, which soon became a cattle shipping point.
The Osage Townsite Company began development of the town in 1909. By the end of the year, the population had grown from 20 to over 150 residents. The first local newspaper, a weekly named the Wynona Enterprise, appeared in August 1909.
Oil was discovered near Wynona in 1914, and led to the creation of Wynona Oil and Gas Company. This caused an influx of new residents to support the local oil industry. Wynona's 1920 census reported 2,749 inhabitants. Wynona remained important for its agriculture and ranching business. Ranchers diversified into producing hogs, poultry and dairy products. However, the town failed to put in electric service and paved streets, causing some businessmen to move elsewhere. The end of the boom in Osage County oil production and the onset of the Great Depression caused the population to drop sharply to 1,171 in 1930 and to 652 in 1960. The MK&T abandoned its rail line in 1977.
Wynona is located at United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land. (36.545583, -96.325962). According to the