1638: 1638: 1638: 1638: 1638:
Saturday, June 24, 2017 04:35 AM
Travel          Hotels Hotels         Tours Tours         Car Rental Cars         Events Events         Flights Flights         Cruises Cruises         Events Refer
Business Name, Category, Keywords
City Name or Zip Code ex: Los Angeles, CA

WowCity Lagrange Yellow Pages | Local Search | Business Directory

Top Businesses in Lagrange Add Business

The Bear Creek Inn 2132 Bear Creek Rd Lagrange WY 82221
(307) 834-2398
Dream, Design, Develop P.O. Box 7 Lagrange WY 82221
(307) 834-2341
Buckle 2302 Frontage Road, Scottsbluff, NE
(308) 632-5772
Regis Salon 2302 Frontage Rd, Scottsbluff, NE
(308) 635-7366
Gloria's Styling Salon 1356 10th St # 5, Gering, NE
(308) 436-3515
JBC Inc 1414 E 20th St # 6, Scottsbluff, NE
(308) 635-0455
Silver Wing Pheasant 1086 U.S. 85, Lagrange, WY
(307) 834-2328
Pine Bluffs Conoco 711 Parsons St, Pine Bluffs, WY
(307) 245-3007
Torrington Shoe Repair 219 East 21st Avenue, Torrington, WY
(307) 532-2522
Cost Cutters 3322 Avenue I # D, Scottsbluff, NE
(308) 635-1660
Add Business Listingclick here to start now!
ss roofing boston Reviewed by: John SS Roofing Boston distinguished themselves from the start. After we requested a quote, the owner himself (Costi) showed up to gather the information he needed to provide one (and it matched up to the
HotelsDifferently, LLC Reviewed by: Thomas I saved over $480 on my 5 night reservation in Paris for the same hotel, exact same room than elsewhere. Great service.
CloudAppsPortal Sharepoint Cloud Reviewed by: Mike Rorey I initially started with the Free SharePoint Foundation site they offer and was pleased to see that it had all the features of Foundation 2013 except for the ability to use my own domain which is reas
Cabinetry Reviewed by: Alexa Furcon Cabinetry & Stonde Depot did a fabulous job remodeling the kitchen area and bathrooms where I work. Their granite and countertop products are great!

Restaurants in Lagrange Submit Article

Food Informations during Pregnancy

Women most of the time faces problems and difficulties because of lack of knowledge regarding food i...

Giving the right Food to your Pet

  Right pet food differs from one another if you have a cat surely you won't give him food fo...

Having Organic Foods in your diet

  Some people prefer Organic Food rather than Non-Organic Food.  What advantages can thi...

Entertainment in Lagrange Submit Article

Everyone Loves Live Concerts

  Concert is an event where singers, bands or other performing artist conduct shows for their ...

Movies Changes Lives

  We experience in some part of our lives that we feel so depress because of our life challeng...

Virtual Games to Virtual Learning Online

  What is Virtual Games? Virtual Games is also known as Online Gaming has greatly influenced ...

Nightlife in Lagrange Submit Article

Choose the Right Wine

  Wine is simply the fermented juice of fresh grapes, yet the transformations may be infinite....

Fun Night Clubbing

      love the clubbing and party scene? The dancing, drinking, and meeting up oth...

Working Night Shift

  Our bodies are designed to sleep at night. Although many people have already been used to wo...

Stores in Lagrange Submit Article

Ways to Market Business Online

Now in our time there is a lot of strategies and ways we could do to market or sell our business o...

Starting and Franchising Business

  Do you want to start your own business or just franchise an existing business? That is the f...

Be Successful in Business Advertising

One of the most important thing to be successful is how you advertise your product. Advertising is a...


Latest Members


Expressions




Support Wikipedia



About Lagrange

La Grange, Wyoming

 

 

 

 

 

La Grange is a town in Goshen CountyWyomingUnited States. The population was 448 at the 2010 census.

 

 

 

 

 

Geography 

 

 

 


La Grange is located at 41°38′18″N 104°9′52″W (41.638359, -104.164330).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.41 square miles (1.06 km2), all of it land

 

 

 

 

 

About La Grange 

 

 

 

 


La Grange, Wyoming, originated along the Texas cattle trail and offered settlers a place to gather. The town is named for a Mr. La Grange who settled in the area.

La Grange continues to be a meeting place for people who live along both Horse Creek and Bear Creek. Each year the La Grange Mini-Fair  is a big draw for the community. Mini-Fair typically consists of family-oriented events such as a free breakfast, parades, a rodeo for children, and country & western entertainment for a night show.

The town offers two churches: La Grange Holiness Chapel and the non-denominational La Grange Bible Church. It is also home to the Frontier School of the Bible, a three-year college which serves approximately 225 students annually.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

History of LaGrange

 

 

 

 

 

An 1837 decree allowed the town of LaGrange to be platted, and land claimed all around it by the LaGrange brothers. Not much is known about this decree except that it allowed land to be claimed just by platting a town. The trail herds passing through LaGrange were a source of cattle for people who legally or illegally acquired land to graze them on. Stories abound of these early day residents but few can be documented. Most permanent type residents did not arrive as early as 1837, but after about 1860 a number of people came to Wyoming for various reasons. Quite a few took out homesteads at this time. In the early spring of 1889, S. J. Robb, a Wyoming cowboy, and Nels Robertson who owned a store in neighboring Banner County, formed a company to start a merchandising business. Kale LaGrange, owner and founder of the Miskimins' ranch gave them inducements to locate on the present site of LaGrange, it being a part of the ranch. The town was named for him. A store building was built as was a home for the manager, S. J. Robb. Far-sighted Easterners began to move into the area, secured a mail route from Pine Bluffs and got set to make it a magic city of the plains.

Besides a grocery store being established by Mr. Robb, a large lumber yard and hardware store was located by Brown and Biggs, an ice house with a dance hall above it, a frontier saloon, a newspaper, "The LaGrange Index," said to be set up by a man named John R. Smith, a cheese factory was located by a Mr. Hendrickson, the milk being supplied by Wyoming and Nebraska settlers; a large grist mill was built on the banks of Horse Creek on the present Ed Johnson place, where homesteaders brought wheat and corn to be made into flour and meal. This mill was operated by steam, the fuel being sometimes coal and sometimes pitch pine wood. It did a large business for several years. A livery stable, where horses were fed and men drank and fought, was a part of the early business equipment.

A Mr. Campbell was the first blacksmith to locate in LaGrange. The cheese factory went out of business after two years because it was not profitable. The Biggs and Brown store then burned to the ground mysteriously. They sold their interests to Mr. Robb, who being a cowboy became restless and sold to Charles Badgett of Cheyenne. It soon burned to the ground, and a smaller store was built. The Yoder brothers then took over, then followed in succession, Rice, Tom Gartner, Beck, Tom McComsey and E. L. Chamberlain. Again the store burned down.

The town was without a store for several years. The LaGrange Mercantile Company was formed, bought a large hall that had been built and put in a large store—groceries, hardware, drugs, machinery. This was also destroyed by fire in time. The company bought an old school and carried on a few months, then sold to the Mercer Mercantile Company, with L. M. Mercer as head of it.

The Stockgrowers Bank of Cheyenne had a bank here from 1917 until 1923. Numerous other businesses flourished and waned in those years— a flour mill run by water power, dance halls, and saloons have not been mentioned. The first telephone line was extended into LaGrange in 1904. Later, LaGrange had for years the only dial system central in Goshen County.

The coming of the Union Pacific brought a new era. They began building in 1927 and by Labor Day, September, 1928—when the town celebrated the completion of this great road—it was completed. Five thousand people attended the completion of the railroad. When a welcome train came through on Oct. 9, 1928, 200 people were on hand to greet it. During the erection of the railroad the town experienced a boom. Several grocery stores, hardware stores, a clothing store, bakery, drug store, barber shops, and hotels sprung up. The depot, stockyards, light plant, and schoolhouse were also built in 1928. Ironically, the depot, which at one time did a lot of business is being torn down and the lumber carefully sorted and hauled to Torrington to be used in construction of another building by the man who purchased it. The depot was closed a few years ago and railroad business is conducted by a mobile unit.

The first school house built on the townsite was long, one room with four windows, many names of teachers being forgotten. Among those remembered are Martha Thomas, later known as Mrs. LaGrange, and still later as Mrs. Winnie Miskimins, Florence LaGrange, a Miss Richards, a Miss Gapes and Bessie Burke. Here were taught the three "R's," the average term being six months per year and the salary $40 to $45 per month. LaGrange had the first consolidated school in the county, as well as the best of its kind. A new gym was built and dedicated in 1951. In later years improvements have been made, the main one being a new elementary addition built which has one large room for kindergarten through sixth grade and is worth visiting to see how school can be efficiently conducted in these modern times.

In the spring of 1890 a Union Sunday School was organized, people came from miles around. It was the first Sunday School in LaGrange or anywhere near. Ministers came during the summer months, Baptists and Presbyterians. The first regular minister was Rev. Day, a Methodist. Services were held in the school house. Preachers were mainly homesteaders and some names still remembered are Rev. Puckett and Rev. Hughes. The first church was built in 1918. When the need was realized, Frank Jones, Otis Lovercheck, John Bunn, Harve Babbitt and Nels Sherard started a fund raising project. The church was located on the south part of the townsite on which it now stands. The basement of the building was used for a school house for a time. The church was under Presbyterian mission for some years and pastors were supplied in this way. In 1947 it was organized as the LaGrange Community Church. It is now the LaGrange Bible Church and the resident pastor is Pastor Don Mathis. There is also a Pilgrim Holiness Church which was established in 1930, and present pastor is Rev. Phillip Kline.

The first cemetery was started on 3 acres (12,000 m2) joining the church on the west, May 3, 1920. Mrs. Christine Roseberg, grandmother of Mrs. Bill Kirlin and Bert Cooper was the first one buried there. In April 1928 the site was moved to the hill east of town and now stands out as a thing of beauty for being in the country. Otis Lovercheck was responsible for having many evergreen trees planted which can be seen for miles. He hauled water every day for long periods of time to get them started. Nels Sherard, E. L. Chamberlain, and Frank Wiand, all now deceased, followed in succession as caretakers. Clifford Gregory worked for several years, and Arthur McGill is presently in charge.

Incidentally, in 1934 an airport was built east of LaGrange, and was in use for several years. The same year an oiled road was built through town, linking the state line six miles (10 km) east to Highway 85 west of town.

In 89 an official post office was established in LaGrange, Laramie County Territory, by S. J. Robb. This P.O. was supplied from Salem, eighteen miles (29 km) south of LaGrange. The nearest Post Office was not on the same route, and was "Goshen" located NW on Bear Creek. The town population at the time numbered between 250 and 300 according to the postal application Other population to be supplied by the Post Office numbered about 500. This post office application was signed by Gust F. Blixt, Post Master at Pine Bluffs, Laramie County, Wyo., July 24, 1889.

Theda Arnold, present (1979) Post Master has copies of the National Archives Records showing later post masters to include, S. J. Robb, 1889; Dement Brown, 1891; Martha A. LaGrange, 1892; Benjamin F. Yoder, 1893; Jerome S. Rice, 1895; Wiliam H. Beck, 1899; Oscar Yoder, 1901; Martha A. LaGrange, 1903; Martha A. Miskimins, 1904; William R. Kirlin, 1928; Verna Bess Coen, 1954 (acting); Dale E. Howery, 1956; Theda Arnold, 1972, up to present day.

On May 20, 1938, an election was held which was the climax to incorporating the town. Cliff Noyes was elected mayor and the councilmen were Percy Fisher, Clyde Warner, Hugh Brady, and Oris Chamberlain. Mayors through the years have included Lester Mercer, W. E. Chamberlain, Jack Robertson, Arthur McGill and Curtis Grandstaff.

In 1967 the Frontier School of the Bible started with twelve students enrolled, with enrollment and substantial growth realized since. The former drug store, old telephone office, barber shop, and cafe building, Talbert's Garage and home, and several other homes have been purchased by the school and remodeled, or added to, to provide classrooms, dining hall, dormitories and homes for students and faculty. This has added much to the appearance of the town as everything is so well kept. Classes are in session from mid August until mid May, when many students return to their homes for the summer, many of which are in Michigan,UtahNebraskaIowaSouth DakotaMontanaWashington and Colorado, to name a few. The school offers a three-year course in general preparations for the ministry, mission field, and Christian education, and is nondenominational.

The town has a volunteer fire department, rescue unit with trained personnel, the latter being kept busy answering calls for accidents and taking the sick to the hospitals. There are also American Legion and American Legion Auxiliary Units that are very active in civic duties, also a Home-makers Extension Club, as well as4H clubs.

 

 

 

 

 

Education 

 

 

 


Public education in the town of LaGrange is provided by Goshen County School District #1.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Grange,_Wyoming


Classifieds in Lagrange

Automotive
   Auto Parts
   Automotive Services
   Autos For Sale

Buy, Sell, Trade

   Antiques For Sale
   Appliances For Sale
   Babies And Kids
   Boats & Motorcycles
   Clothing For Sale
   Electronics
   Free
   Furniture For Sale
   Miscellaneous
   Pets For Sale
   Sports Equipment For Sale
   Tickets For Sale
   Tools For Sale
   Want - Trade
   Yard Sales

Catering

   Dishes

Community

   Childcare
   Classes / Workshops
   Events
   General
   Groups
   Lost & Found
   Volunteers

Jobs (0)

   Accounting / Financial
   Administrative & Office
   Computer / Technical
   Customer Service
   Domestic
   Driver / Delivery / Courier
   Driver Delivery Courier
   Education
   Focus Group / Studies
   Job Wanted / Resume
   Medical / Health
   Mgmt / Professional
   Miscellaneous
   Part-time Jobs
   Rest / Retail / Hotel
   Sales / Mktg
   Salon / Spa
   Show Biz / Audition
   Trades / Labor

Musician

   Available / Wanted
   Equip / Instruments
   Instruction
   Plug The Band
   Services

Real Estate

   Apartments
   Commercial
   House / Condo
   Land For Sale
   Miscellaneous
   Wanted

Rental

   Apartments & Houses For Rent
   Commercial
   Miscellaneous
   Rentals Wanted
   Roommates
   Vacation

Restaurants

   Menu
Services
   Business Opportunities
   Business Services
   Cleaning Services
   Computer
   Creative Services
   Financial
   Health / Beauty Services
   Home Improvement
   Labor / Moving
   Landscape / Lawn Services
   Legal
   Misc.
   Real Estate
   Therapeutic Massage

Travel

   Hotels And Accomodations
   Tour Packages
   Travel Tickets